• • •
"Mike and Jon, Jon and Mike—I've known them both for years, and, clearly, one of them is very funny. As for the other: truly one of the great hangers-on of our time."—Steve Bodow, head writer, The Daily Show
"Who can really judge what's funny? If humor is a subjective medium, then can there be something that is really and truly hilarious? Me. This book."—Daniel Handler, author, Adverbs, and personal representative of Lemony Snicket
"The good news: I thought Our Kampf was consistently hilarious. The bad news: I’m the guy who wrote Monkeybone."—Sam Hamm, screenwriter, Batman, Batman Returns, and Homecoming
August 09, 2010
Thank You + Prizes + More Yelling
By my count, in the past three days
$1,055 $1,349 has been given or is on its way. If you're one of the people who's sent them money so far, please check the list below to make sure I haven't missed you.
If you're not one of the people who's given, I hope you can—I realize times are very tough in many places, but just small donations add up when lots of people are doing it. All that's needed now to finish is
95 66 people giving $10 each.
Here are some new incentives:
1. I will send a signed copy of Our Kampf to the person who makes the largest donation and also call to thank them. (If there's a tie I'll flip a coin.)
I will also call to thank the next two highest donations, plus three randomly chosen donators of any amount. (Or if you prefer, I will promise never to call you.)
2. My mother has already donated $100, but pledged to give another $100 as soon as we get to $2,000. And I'll also give another $100 when we get there. So in the end Consortium News will get $2,200 total.
3. I've been doing this for six and a half years and have never tried to hit up readers for money. This wasn't a principled stand, but because I just never needed to. Nevertheless, if you've gotten any enjoyment out of my endless griping, I hope you'll consider expressing it in monetary form by giving to Consortium News. Robert Parry has had an huge effect on how I see the world, and it would mean a lot to me to be able to help him out, even a little bit.
So here's how you can give. Please be sure to leave a comment or send me email after donating:
• Go here to donate via credit card.
• Send money via paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Send checks or money orders to:
Consortium for Independent Journalism
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
Hopefully we can wrap this up soon, but if necessary I have no hesitation about yelling about it through 2014.
THANK YOU: Peter Beattie, [anonymous - $100], NE, Jared, Nell, shargash, Donald Johnson, Aaron Datesman, RoninJin, will, jeanie, The Other Duncan, [anonymous - $100], Gladys, Jody Schwarz, NomadUK, mistah charley, ph.d., Tony, "-", Justin, John James Morton, Ethan, BGGB, Mike Meyer
ADDED: drip, Matt, Mike B., John Halle, Grandpa Ken, Rob W.
—Jonathan SchwarzPosted at August 9, 2010 10:44 PM