Comments: Oh, If Only The U.S. Media Had The Ability To Read Books

I thought everyone kndw that the MSM specializes in chasms, not cracks.

The internets (which still hangs on to the cracks), on the other hand, is what brought skeptical me to this magical site.

Posted by Jesus B. Ochoa at March 24, 2006 10:15 AM

Damn, Jonathan, now I'm going to actually have to read it. I should have listened to my father and read it when he bought it for me when it came out.

Posted by Saheli at March 24, 2006 12:14 PM

Jesus,

Thank you for recognizing this site's magicality. It makes me feel good. And it's good for you, too, because if you didn't recognize it I would turn you into a tadpole.

Saheli,

As I say, the book's a million miles above the run of the mill sludge. Really compelling, for all kinds of reasons. Indeed, I will speak more of this soon.

Posted by Jonathan Schwarz at March 24, 2006 01:11 PM

Darn you anyway!!! Now here is another one for my "longer than I have left to live" reading list. I am still working on Phillips' last two on the Bush cabal.

Thanks. Sites like yours, CURSOR, et al make life more bearable for me because I know there still remains a bastion of thinking people in this country and the world.

Bob R.

Posted by Bob Reynolds at March 24, 2006 03:15 PM

Tadpoles do not fare well in far west Texas, so please consider the magical horned (not horny) toad, which weeps tears of blood when alarmed.

Posted by Jesus B. Ochoa at March 24, 2006 05:38 PM

Definitely one of the most compelling books, and the only truly "Insider's View" of the administration to come out so far.

We must destroy this Ron Suskind for his treason!

Posted by JS Narins at March 25, 2006 08:06 AM

It's a great book, which I also began to read fashionably late.

One of the nicer aspects of the local Dem HQ during the 2004 and 2005 campaigns was our mini-library -- books like Against All Enemies, Bush's Brain, and the O'Neill/Suskind one that volunteers left for others to borrow. Late in the Kaine campaign, I started The Price of Loyalty during lunch hours, and was surprised by how good it was.

The description of the first NSC meeting was outstanding (where Iraq was on the agenda and it became clear to O'Neill that a decision had already been taken, by a small group outside the meeting). I also enjoyed also the account of how Cheney killed global warming initiatives (which O'Neill and Whitman had been put in charge of)without leaving many fingerprints. And the eerie account of his regular meetings with Bush, at which Bush never said anything. O'Neill understood it was a puppet government pretty early on.

The book got packed up and returned to its owner before I could arrange for a loan; must track it down again.

Posted by Nell at March 25, 2006 03:16 PM