Comments: Lie After Lie: What Colin Powell Knew Ten Years Ago Today and What He Said

Good work, well presented. This takes me back. Has it really been ten years? Back then I was blogging against the war at AntiWar.com and it all seemed so hopeless when they went forward with all these lies. I'm glad you're sticking with it.

Posted by TexMac at February 5, 2013 12:04 PM

The Washington Post had something on this recently, along with comments by others involved.

In a just world, they'd all be hanged for war crimes.

Posted by liberal at February 5, 2013 12:22 PM

Ever see that movie "Mars Attack"?

Ya know, WE Americans aren't pretty, gots lots-o-warts. AND, 'cause WE raise 'em that way, ANY President WE elect is open to start a war, folks. Its to PROVE, mas macho, exceptionalism, projected American Power to the world, WE can kill, burn and loot at will, OR just because The President can (shits&grins). WE ALL LIE ABOUT IT, though, to OURSELVES and others as a nation at some point. Oh, a few are smart enough to not go along but the VAST MAJORITY of this nation are genuinely willing for the nation to go to war. That's why most ANY LIE, no matter how "weak", passes with flying colors.
Those folks, at the U.N., have their own intelligence services, who may, or may not know and tell the TRUTH about their suspicions to their representatives at the UN, yet the vote went through. They must have looked on their own at some point, must have had deep reservations on the matter, weighed the costs of a LIE, yet they jumped right in.
AND SO, in closing, I recommend---

POWELL FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! Although not as good a speachifyer as President Obama, not as young or good looking, he's STILL a much more convincing liar therefor a more ABLE leader for this nation.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 5, 2013 12:53 PM

i wanna see Schwarz v powell on meet the press! (preferably with War Pigs playing in the background)

Posted by frankenduf at February 5, 2013 01:21 PM

I am so disgusted and fed up with all the "lies", "torturing and renditions" ( Open Society Foundation report ), absolutely morally repugnant, could never be justified "justifiable targeted killings", I need to go on a "citizen" sabbatical, away from it all and live in a "state of denial" for a while, for a break.....
I am not sure "Ignorance is Bliss" is true or not but it would not hurt to find out!

here

continued....

Posted by rupa shah at February 5, 2013 03:09 PM

continued......

Open Society Foundation report..

here

Posted by rupa shah at February 5, 2013 03:17 PM

It would be a lot quicker to list wars started by telling the truth than by lying.

Posted by N E at February 5, 2013 06:52 PM

I see where 54 nations helped with TORTURE&renditions. Sweet!!! NO WONDER no one gets prosecuted or even badmouthed in The World Court, a FULL HALF are guilty of war crimes too. I guess WE ain't the only ones with warts.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 5, 2013 06:57 PM

I see everyone who promoted or supported this war on Iraq as an accessory to mass murder.

And torture, kidnapping, secret prisons, rape and murder are not "warts". They are horrible, massive sins against the world.

Posted by Susan at February 6, 2013 01:01 AM

Politics is so corrupt in all countries that we simply should execute any politician who calls for or prosecutes a war, once the war is over. What?!

Put it this way, if you and were politicians, would we risk our lives for the Pax Americana? No. Would I have done so to save a few million Jews, Slavs, Romany, homosexuals and others? Hell yes!

Isn't that all you'd need to know about who you're voting for?

Posted by Ἀντισθένης at February 6, 2013 07:47 AM

Look on the bright side Susan. A FULL HALF of the worlds nations LOVES OUR MONEY and just maybe, US too.(maybe)
On a more sober note---Yes Susan, "warts" is an understatement, those ARE horrific war crimes and crimes against humanity, with absolutely no shortage of examples in OUR portfolio.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT?
U&I are the perpetraters, WE PAY for this to go on. OUR MONEY. Should WE attack the government and shoot the politicians, become JUST LIKE US, do the same evil things that WE DO as alluded to above?
What to do? What to do?

What to DON'T DO------Don't PAY for it. With OUR DOLLARS the government will try to conquer the world, WITHOUT OUR DOLLARS they can't even drive the limo across the street. It isn't easy, isn't pretty, but look at what WE are buying now.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 6, 2013 09:27 AM

Didn't the last president start a couple wars while cutting taxes?

Posted by godoggo at February 6, 2013 11:43 AM

godoggo: Yeah, warfare on credit. A hooker won't let me do it on credit, yet I can get a couple of wars on credit, go figure.

Voter Initiative on BUDGETS&TAXES, Folks. I'm positive I'd vote against borrowing money for wars, how's about U?

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 6, 2013 02:07 PM

RAISING TAXES for wars is a different point entirely.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 6, 2013 02:10 PM

Well, first I'm just going to type what I was going to type before I saw Mike's last couple comments even though they make part of it moot because what the hell:

Did Johnson's tax cuts make us less warlike? Nixons? Reagan's? Also, bearing in mind that I'm not long on history, I'm thinking starving the beast seemed to work pretty good to make England more peaceable, but maybe not so good for Germany, so I guess it depends. Surely somebody out the tallied up examples and come to some sort of supportable conclusion?

Anyway, considering that the president seems to go to war when he wants regardless of the existing law, it seems hard to picture him saying, "Uh-oh, hold that drone strike, we're out of funds." Let's just say I'm not against your idea.

Posted by godoggo at February 6, 2013 03:45 PM

And, as usual, nothing is meant as metaphor. It's hard enough trying to say things that make sense without concerning myself with that nonsense.

Posted by godoggo at February 6, 2013 04:36 PM

Powell got Bush elected. Without the presumption that Powell would be SOS or otherwise was on board with Bush then Bush would have lost. I heard many times and read quotes from ordinary Republicans that they thought Bush wasn't really up to speed but that he would be OK because he had "good advisers". Then Cheney tried to dump him but Bush did hold fast there. Then Cheney and Rumsfeld and the neocons running through the administration cut off Powell nuts and treated him with total contempt.

So what did Powell do? What he always did, his duty to, to the Army before and to Bush and the Party later. He is the quintessential organization man. Which is why he is still loved for nothing is more revered than a good company man. (The opposite of a whistle blower, the most hated persons of our elites)

Posted by rapier at February 6, 2013 06:59 PM

godoggo: A WHOLE ENTIRE CARRIER GROUP ain't going to the Middle East because of lack of funding. Yes, it works.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 7, 2013 11:48 AM

I was going to ask you for a link, but then I found a few. Here's one (Spencer Ackerman):

Posted by godoggo at February 7, 2013 05:20 PM

Better one:

I imagine there are even better ones but I'll stop at two.

Posted by godoggo at February 7, 2013 05:30 PM

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword....wait there's even more Now what if i told you there was a simple Wordpress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That's right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

Posted by Neida Kahanaoi at February 7, 2013 09:57 PM

Anyways, the current situation isn't really typical of how the government works, and won't last forever. I wouldn't generalize from it too much.

Posted by godoggo at February 7, 2013 10:46 PM

Posted by Stevie Humason at February 9, 2013 04:44 AM

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of completely unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being ripped off? I'd definitely appreciate it.

Posted by these at February 10, 2013 11:35 PM