Comments: Let's Remember Elliott Abrams Is an Apologist for Torture and Decapitation

This is so lurid it makes me yawn.

Posted by Nice Liberal at August 13, 2012 11:50 PM

You are my favorite commenter in the history of this site.

Posted by Jon Schwarz at August 13, 2012 11:59 PM

There were about 900 dead (give or take) at El Mozote, not 5000. Mark Danner's New Yorker article is online here for anyone interested. And the most clearcut admission that the US was deliberately and knowingly supporting mass murder is found in the Atlantic Monthly here

Anyway, statistical disagreement aside, great post.

Posted by Donald Johnson at August 14, 2012 12:02 AM

Most clearcut admission in a mainstream US publication, I should have said. It doesn't take much insight to see that the US was supporting mass murder while pretending not to, but that Atlantic piece was surprisingly forthright about it.

Posted by Donald Johnson at August 14, 2012 12:03 AM

Donald, thanks -- was correcting even as you wrote that.

Posted by Jon Schwarz at August 14, 2012 12:06 AM

Can't have a definitive Central American foreign policy, unless ya got a death squad.

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 14, 2012 12:58 AM

Our govt ( past and current ) is VERY HAPPY to support Freedom Fighters/death squads ( whether in Latin America or anywhere else ) which will end in "regime change", no matter the consequences.......why don't I feel happy but feel rather horribly sick!!?? Sorry folks, I tried to yawn but failed miserably....
And is Mr Abrams' advice going to be to continue this?? Short history is any guide, he will be VERY HAPPY to do so....

here

btw, the Republican Presidential candidate received his seed money for Bain Capital from people connected to Death Squads in Latin America. He must be so proud to set such a great example and teach a great lesson to all the entrepreneurs.... .. Go for it...make your day....or rather I should say, make your money!!!

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 14, 2012 08:42 AM

The TRUE face of modern warfare---The only rule is "do or die", the only war crime is "failure to participate".

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 14, 2012 02:22 PM

Unlike beaheadings carried out in Mexico by US-linked gangs, I can't make heads or tails of this coincidence, by which I mean comparing US behavior to dream behavior:

The invasion of Panama, what was that? The U.S. killed, according to the Panamanians, 3,000 civilians. Maybe they're right. We don't investigate our own crimes, so nobody knows. But it certainly killed plenty of people--on the scale of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, roughly the same casualties. The U.S. used its veto power on the Security Council and voted against the condemnation in the General Assembly. Manuel Noriega was illegally brought back to Florida, tried in a ridiculous trial in which he was convicted of crimes which he had indeed committed, almost all of them when he was on the CIA payroll. It was just like the trial of Saddam Hussein will be, if he ever comes to trial: He will be convicted of crimes that the U.S. supported, but that part won't be mentioned. -- Source, Chomsky.info

In my dream last night, I was in a room in my synagogue from the real world. Only the room doesn't really exist. Upon reflection, I realized that this room represented a secret crush I have that I am afraid would upset my family.

Posted by Lewis at August 14, 2012 08:49 PM

You guys all miss an important point. The Republican base does not normally read either The New Yorker or The Atlantic. You want these facts out there where they'll be seen and read? Try again. It will have to be in an easy-to-read, easy-to-digest medium, and neither of those magazines qualify as such. Sorry.

Posted by John Hoffman at August 19, 2012 10:06 AM

Posted by John Hoffman at August 19, 2012 10:07 AM

Everyone should read Danner's article. The US trained forces executed all the men, first raped and then executed all the women, and then bayoneted the infants and threw them into the well. God Bless America.

But the article has an up side. After El Mozote the FMLN tricked the army into thinking they had finally tracked down the FMLN's radio station which had been broadcasting the truth about the struggle to Salvadorans for years. I don't want to give the ending away but let's just say the bad guys get their just deserts.

Posted by mudplanet at August 19, 2012 10:40 AM

What gives? Where are the jokes? If I don't get me my quota of jokes I'll stop reading these ideological rantings

Posted by Not Errol Flynn at August 19, 2012 11:47 AM