Comments: Lying the World Into War Is Always an Option

From a “review” at Amazon.com of Pollack’s Gathering Storm.

Examining all sides of the debate and bringing a keen eye to the military and geopolitical forces at work, Pollack ultimately comes to this controversial conclusion: through our own mistakes, the perfidy of others, and Saddam’s cunning, the United States is left with few good policy options regarding Iraq. Increasingly, the option that makes the most sense is for the United States to launch a full-scale invasion, eradicate Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction, and rebuild Iraq as a prosperous and stable society—for the good of the United States, the Iraqi people, and the entire region.

Funny thing is the NYT still quotes Pollack as if Pollack’s opinions were pure gold. Of course the NYT can’t recall what it reported ten minutes ago either.

Posted by rob payne at February 28, 2012 11:32 PM

Would that be this Ken Pollack?

The infamous Iran/Mexican Drug Cartel manages to rear its head. Also, you might have to write your 100th blog post about the history of the US and its dealings with Iraq.

If these are zombie lies, would this be Night of the Living Dead, or Dawn of the Dead?

Posted by Happy Jack at February 29, 2012 01:50 AM

Option 5 mistakenly says "Iraq."

Posted by Save the Oocytes at February 29, 2012 03:39 AM

This is monstrous. How can Pollack write it and how can anyone accept it? Isn't the result of this kind of speculation a screaming two-year-old with her face caked in blood? You'll have to forgive me; I tend to skip the big poliical picture in favor of the tiny human one.

Posted by Rosemary Molloy at February 29, 2012 06:37 AM

WHY do I have to start my day feeling THOROUGHLY disgusted with these devious, pseudopundits and their so called Think tanks and some govt officials ( former or current ).

Posted by Rupa Shah at February 29, 2012 08:36 AM

Rupa Shah: the five minutes of hate is good for you.

In 1997, a Clinton cabinet member (probably Madeleine Albright) suggested that the Air Force fly a U-2 so slowly and low over Iraq that Iraq would be able to shoot it down. This would be a "precipitous event—something that would make us look good in the eyes of the world" and enable us to invade.

Didn't we hear about this because of some general whose blood this boiled? I probably read about it here (man I love this blog). Incidentally, for a great fictional depiction of this kind of spineless bureaucratic chicanery, check out Torchwood series three, "The Children of Earth", featuring the fabulous Peter Capaldi of "In the Loop" and "The Thick of It" (which you should also watch).

Posted by saurabh at February 29, 2012 11:09 AM

You know, Pollack jokes were offensive 30 years ago when I was in junior high school, but then as now, they were popular. :-(

Posted by tom allen at February 29, 2012 12:25 PM

Can't have a war unless ya gots a pretext. Well I guess ya could but it looks bad on yer resume. Which, if ya think about it, shouldn't really matter to US by now, what with torture and GITMO and the rest of the last 10 years worth of shit WE've pulled. Hey, I see WE got a GITMO PRISONER to PLEA AGREE so's he can get out in 25-40 years instead of being in GITMO FOREVER. Sweet!!!

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 29, 2012 12:49 PM

@ saurabh
I do not hate anyone or anything. "HATE" is a VERY STRONG word and fortunately I have not felt that kind of emotion and I hope, I never will though I have observed it and read about it in actions of others. I just feel disgusted by what these people ( described in the post) do. One would think they would spend their lives doing better things than hatching such sick plots.
And thanks for your recommendations. Will check them out.

Posted by Rupa Shah at February 29, 2012 01:42 PM

I don't see what the big deal is here. Obviously it's just a matter of using the "Find"->"Replace" function and changing a Q for an N.

Posted by Aaron Datesman at February 29, 2012 02:58 PM

Aaron Datesman: Ah yes, the infamous "Calculus Of War". If I may, be sure to include -wallet/blood=SOFA+oil.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 29, 2012 03:15 PM

Inevitability is becoming inescapable. A good plan, for those with a view from above.

Posted by Jack Crow at February 29, 2012 03:41 PM

Rupa: sorry, I was too long by three: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes_Hate

Posted by saurabh at February 29, 2012 05:58 PM

I don't condone lies.

Posted by Charles Edward Frith (@charlesfrith) at February 29, 2012 08:55 PM

Pollack, along with Powers and the Obama administration and Bush administration, are massively evil.

Posted by Susan at February 29, 2012 10:28 PM

something about a bowling shirt and a wedding, as i recall - it's been a while since i heard it

Posted by Freddy el Desfibradddor at March 1, 2012 12:05 AM

Mere amateurs when compared to their predecessors. Still, at least the guys behind Operation Northwoods had the decency to see that their ideas were so appalling they'd have to remain a secret.

Posted by BenSix at March 1, 2012 09:11 AM

Dave Lindorff claims "President Obama and His Key Advisors are a Gang of War Criminals".

Posted by mistah 'MICFiC' charley, ph.d. at March 1, 2012 02:43 PM

Jon-as delightful a read as our kamph promises too be(in the bunker-reclining on the canned goods with the foam topper.),Your account fails too-'remember the maine','54or fight',or the-'canada's our our's for the marching'.
My personal favorite has grown too be 54or fight.After pres and congress decided too liberate canada,your army duefully marched off too do it-southward.I'd love too learn when what officer noticed that-Kingston didn't have a pyramid of the moon in its nothern suburbs-though both were beside(different)lakes at that time.
Good thing the 'percision triangulated' grape and cannister round eliminated collateral damage-practicaily.
If you have time,I would be delighted too learn what a certian circumsized nazi with a nuc arsenal located in the middle east means exactly with his declaration that-'the new mid east map has no lebaenon'.Sounds too me that your just the man for the job.
Cheers
Todd Millions
Y=ranch SK

Posted by Todd Millions at March 1, 2012 04:42 PM

mistah charley, pd.d. WE ALL are war criminals, now.

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 1, 2012 07:06 PM

Two Minutes of Hate.

Posted by Butch in Waukegan at March 1, 2012 08:09 PM

That's what you get for UNCONDITIONALLY voting for the two corrupt, corporate-funded parties, who see war as bringing windfall profits to their corporate paymasters.

The Green Party is the progressive alternative. The Green Party doesn't accept corporate money and represents the 99%.

5% of the vote will get the Green Party matching Federal funds.

Your Green vote sends a message to the corporate parties that going along with the fascist lies to start yet ANOTHER unnecessary and insane war will cost them votes.

And this message is sent even if the Green you vote for loses.

VOTE GREEN!