Comments: A Massive Bluggy Failure

Have you considered getting those little buttons for Facebook and G+ and suchlike to make it easy for folks to promote and share great posts like this?

I think this story makes the perfect follow-up to Adolph Reed Jr.'s 1996 take on Obama. The man is what he's always been.

Posted by will shetterly at November 4, 2011 02:34 AM

Posted by will shetterly at November 4, 2011 02:35 AM

Thanks for sharing. I have done my part.

Posted by BuelahMan at November 4, 2011 07:23 AM

That's fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Johnathan, what do you think of the book generally? Is it worth buying?

Posted by Nicholas 'Smitty' Stewart at November 4, 2011 07:57 AM

obama said that in march 2009 - but time marches on, and situations change - obama may decide that the banksters may be more useful as enemies than as friends - one can hope

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d. at November 4, 2011 08:24 AM
Blugs could actually serve a useful purpose just by reading through books and picking out the things that matter. There's apparently no better place to hide things in 2011 America than in a book.

Thank you! That is EXACTLY THE REASON I visit ATR everyday to learn what is hiding in SOME books or even articles!

Posted by Rupa Shah at November 4, 2011 09:29 AM

Now in cartoon form.

Posted by vastleft at November 4, 2011 09:33 AM

I wouldn't look for Obama to leave the ones what brung him to the dance just to dance with US any time soon, if ever. WE're on OUR own on this one.
Obama's loyality has been with the money all along. If I may remind (I gave Rupa Shah her 100 days after the inaugeration) everyone he sold out on FISA, then GITMO and everything else up until now. He's a trained CORPORATE LAWYER, its what he does best. Its the Occupation that is the best chance for HOPE&CHANGE, not Obama.

Posted by Mike Meyer at November 4, 2011 10:30 AM

@ Mike Meyer
Yes, I do remember and though I have been disappointed and disillusioned by what Obama has done and not done for quite some time, when I voted for him, it was because I REALLY BELIEVED what he said about change and the way he criticised the Bush Administration and how he would do things differently.
Come Nov 2012, I do know who I am NOT VOTING for!

Posted by Rupa Shah at November 4, 2011 11:37 AM

Third Party, Rupa Shah.

Posted by Mike Meyer at November 4, 2011 01:20 PM

Good point. I am reading a book by Sean Wilentz "Bob Dylan In America". He previously wrote one about Ronald Reagan. Lots of things hidden in books.

Another interesting one is The Control of Oil (New York: Pantheon, 1977, John M. Blair, author), about how BP has had its hand on the spigot of Iraqi oil since the 1920's.

Posted by Dredd at November 4, 2011 01:57 PM

and you lose your best people...

Isn't that great? These guys run their businesses into the ground and crash the economy but we can't set caps on their pay because if we do, they would quit and then where would we be? Hilarious!

Posted by cemmcs at November 4, 2011 05:35 PM

Jon, your frustration is understandable, but bloggers are lazy, and it's not necessary to laboriously re-type a quote from Ron Suskind to demonstrate that Obama wants to protect the banksters from the pitchfork carriers. You can just describe his policy decisions. Hell, you can just post Geithner's and Bernanke's resumes.

Posted by radish at November 5, 2011 12:55 AM

Facebook are evil scum. I'm not sure Google is much better, though, yes, I use Google for search. I hate seeing those wretched Facebook buttons polluting the web. So, please, no FB/Google buttons.

Also, I've no idea what blug means. I did a search, but found nothing. Definition, please?

Posted by Faheem at November 5, 2011 04:48 AM

Damn. Good passage.

FWIW, I've read two of Suskind's books (and blogged on them), but haven't gotten to that one yet - I'm on The Reactionary Mind by Corey Robin at the moment. Alas, my stack of books grows ever higher, but I guess I'll have to add Confidence Men to it. Thanks for the rec. Suskind always uncovers some striking incidents. (And if you haven't read Angler by Barton Gellman yet, it's well worth checking out.)

Posted by Batocchio at November 5, 2011 05:51 AM

Urban dictionary provides 4 definitions of "blug." I'm assuming this post refers to #3.

Posted by godoggo at November 5, 2011 09:11 AM

Jonathan, nobody reads books nowadays. I don't read books, as you can see by looking at my blog; I focus on important stuff, like testing the NFL for HGH. Books just aren't reaching enough people. Besides, who needs to know something that happened like three years ago? That's ancient history. People don't care about stuff like that. They want to know what's happening now, like the link between the Kardashian wedding/divorce and 9/11.

But what the hell, I'll pass it along. Maybe I can find a link to the Iranian nuclear threat. That's what the MiCFiC doesn't want you to know.

Posted by Duncan at November 5, 2011 12:09 PM

"There's apparently no better place to hide things in 2011 America than in a book."

Been true a long time. I do recall that smug prick Allen Dulles was quite sure almost 50 years ago that no one would read the Warren Commission report. And I don't think it was a new development then either.

Posted by N E at November 5, 2011 04:26 PM

godoggo: on the off chance you aren't joking, our host's distaste for the neologism "blog" leads him to make substitute various other amusing sounds to avoid using it.

Posted by Save the Oocytes at November 7, 2011 06:14 PM

I second the comment about getting a button, Jon. For those with the Firefox browser, there is an app called AddThis which accomplishes much the same thing.

Posted by Save the Oocytes at November 7, 2011 06:15 PM