Comments: Real Gangsters

from Louis Farrakhan to George Carlin - i must say i am totally in agreement, to a certain extent

Posted by Freddy el Desfibradddorf at November 1, 2011 03:19 PM

Posted by Freddy el Desfibradddorf at November 1, 2011 03:19 PM

Great!
Love it!
The Truth!

Posted by Chicago 7X at November 1, 2011 05:02 PM

Jon, it's very hard to pay attention to these people when one of them is wearing a Thundercats t-shirt.

Posted by PaxSkeptica at November 1, 2011 06:03 PM

Hmm. Sorry but I don't see anything special really. I'm assuming you're not familiar with Immortal Technique, who has similar things to say but is much funnier and raw-er.

Posted by LorenzoStDuBois at November 1, 2011 07:41 PM

Don't forget Brother Ali

Posted by Sam at November 2, 2011 12:19 AM

I like Immortal Technique.

Posted by godoggo at November 2, 2011 01:16 AM

And not that I'm like Steve Hip-Hop or anything, but I think what makes Technique different from most other political rappers is that he made his name doing freestyle battles. It makes a difference, I think.

Posted by godoggo at November 2, 2011 02:15 AM

Well, I don't have a problem with the message, but that is some crappy hip-hop.

Posted by Rojo at November 2, 2011 10:41 AM

I don't really understand the contrast between the "real" and "not-real" gangsters.

So a group of bankers, etc are actually criminals, but a group of drug traffickers who tote guns and murder people are NOT criminals? What are they, heroes and revolutionaries?

Why can't they all be considered gangsters?

Posted by seth at November 2, 2011 01:37 PM

Oh, and from my adopted home and favorite city of Pittsburgh! Super-like!

Posted by Aaron Datesman at November 2, 2011 04:34 PM

Yo seth, it ain' like that. He's saying that they aren't shit - as in, small time. It fits the hip-hop aesthetic, on the one hand, by dissing the criminal in the hood, and brings to the attention of the discerning listener that the small-time gangsta-dom is petty perpetuation of the same social ills caused by the master who masks himself as an un-hip, lilly-white conformist.

Posted by davidly at November 2, 2011 06:06 PM

This is good, but the point is made to much better effect (and avoiding seth's confusion) by this track from the Coup (who ARE being watched by Homeland Security):

Posted by saurabh at November 2, 2011 06:52 PM

If you listen to the above, the next track on the album, featuring the hip-hop stylings of J.P. Getty and David Rockefeller (complete with "those hand gestures") is mandatory listening:

Posted by saurabh at November 2, 2011 06:54 PM

I go with Blue Scholars

Posted by Bill Murray at November 3, 2011 12:43 AM

Don't forget brutha Dick, the greatest plunder gangsta of all.

Posted by Dredd at November 3, 2011 10:48 AM