Comments: 235 Years of Indian Killing and Counting

I was thinking about Skull and Bones when I first heard that OBL was killed, and before they told us that he now sleeps with the fishes. I wondered if they would stuff him and display him in the Smithsonian.

Posted by Freddy el Desfibradddor at May 3, 2011 11:26 AM

Posted by Sam at May 3, 2011 11:44 AM

OBL had to go. The calls to leave Afghanistan have begun.

Someday maybe people will shout his name when jumping out of airplanes.

Posted by N E at May 3, 2011 05:17 PM

Geronimo is used as a victory or war cry in admiration of the great Chief

Posted by TrDem55 at May 3, 2011 06:56 PM

I would rather have seen OBL HANGED at the Albany Courthouse after a lengthy trial at the hands of a Judge and 12 Honest Citizens. But then I'm from the "lynch mob mentality" side of America's political spectrum.

Posted by Mike Meyer at May 3, 2011 07:15 PM

Yes, TrDem55, but that had nothing to do with the great chief, who was widely despised as a chief before he became admired as a war cry.

Posted by N E at May 3, 2011 10:23 PM

WH now admits/claims Geronimo was codename for operation not UBL, among other clarifications.

Posted by weaver at May 3, 2011 10:44 PM

235 years, heh, at least they were not a day late and a dollar short.

Posted by NomNomNom at May 4, 2011 12:47 AM

It's always good to remind people of what happens to those who oppose the established order. I personally am looking forward to future operations code-named 'Sitting Bull', 'Wounded Knee', 'John Brown', 'Sacco & Vanzetti', 'Julius & Ethel', 'Malcom X', and many others. Maybe even an Operation JFK, just for grins.

Posted by NomadUK at May 4, 2011 07:31 AM

Geronimo spent the last 40 years of his life under house arrest and died when he fell off his horse.

Anyway, I'm not sure I buy the rest of the supposed parallel...are we now really thinking of OBL as a valiant insurrectionist?

Posted by seth at May 4, 2011 10:48 AM

holy moly, obl wasn't valiant or an insurrectionist. As far as I can tell--(not much information seems reliable)--he wasn't even especially good as a CIA jihadist in afghanistan and elsewhere until that finally went south, assuming it did, though frankly, who the hell knows what the truth is. (nobody i've ever met or read)

Posted by N E at May 4, 2011 04:35 PM

@TrDem55 --

"Geronimo!" was first yelled by paratroopers in 1940, as the result of a drunken bet.

Nice try, though.