Comments: At First I Was Like This :( But Then I Was Like This :) : ) :)

I think you merged the ADL and the IDF — not an unreasonable mistake — when you came up with the ADF there at the end.

But thinking about Jeffrey Goldberg too much will do that to you.

Posted by NomadUK at August 5, 2010 07:17 AM

As the proverb goes, "Things which are apparently opposed may be working together."

This also relates to the concept of dynamic tension in Charles Atlas's body building system.

Speaking of the Universe --

...Purusha and Prakriti (or Spirit and Matter)... have been postulated in the Yoga Philosophy of India as emanating from the Supreme Lord, Ishvara....Just as Ishvara in the very act of manifestation gives forth these Twain -- Spirit and Matter -- so also for the purpose of manifestation, according to Zoroaster, are needed the Twain Spirits, the Good and the Evil, 'created by Mazda'. They represent the two poles upon which the whole of manifestation and evolution revolves.

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d. at August 5, 2010 07:59 AM

The news media is just doing its job of convincing us that Muslims are all crazy.

Posted by Rob Payne at August 5, 2010 08:42 AM

Speaking of the universe remaining horrifying and disgusting, I must second the recommendation of the film In The Loop made by a commenter a few posts back. It is non-stop laughs even as it kills your soul.

Posted by Cloud at August 5, 2010 11:06 AM

I have a hard time keeping Jonah and Jeffrey Goldberg separate in my head. Does anyone have a handy chart, or something? One wrote about liberal fascism, the other is a liberal fascist?

Posted by saurabh at August 5, 2010 04:07 PM

Mistah charley and Charles Atlas and Ishvara and the whole of manifestation are right that things which are apparently opposed may in fact be working together. If I may change the meaning a little and add a mixed metaphor, illusion has many faces. The trouble is, they aren't all as ugly Jeffrey Goldberg's face, so it isn't always so easy to pick them out of a lineup.

Then again, sometimes it is. Visiting the home of relatives by marriage, I browsed the magazine rack and found a recent Time cover of an otherwise pretty and fair-skinned but noseless Afghan girl with the headline 'What happens if we leave Afghanistan?" and then a Newsweek cover with a picture of a mushroom cloud and the headline "After Iran Gets the Bomb" and then another Time cover with the headline "Why They Hate Each Other" over some shifty-looking terroristical eyes peering out of traditional arab costume and a small 'Sunnis vs. Shia" subheadline, which kind of reminded me of an ad for a WWF knock-down.

Later, my brother-in-law, a very nice guy who has never heard a right-wing talking point he didn't like, recommended out loud that all Americans should have to watch video of people plunging to their deaths from the WTC every day just to remember what happened. I bit down on my lip and ignored that in the interest of domestic tranquility.

Lord help us. I'm going to have to check out that "In the Loop" flick.

Posted by n e at August 5, 2010 04:23 PM

Mock smugness becomes you. ;-)

I was a bit surprised to see Jeffrey Goldberg quoted on the internet tubes saying sensible and even insightful things, but I hadn't gotten to the full piece. Ouch.

Posted by Batocchio at August 5, 2010 04:27 PM

I'm confused by your use of "on the same side". Does this mean that they both want the war? I.e., Scipio Africanus and Hannibal were "on the same side" because both of them were enthusiastic about the Punic Wars?

Posted by saurabh at August 5, 2010 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure Hannibal was enthusiastic. Who wouldn't want to be in a clash of civilizations?

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 5, 2010 05:28 PM

@ NE

"I bit down on my lip and ignored that in the interest of domestic tranquility."

My sympathies. It is situations like this that make me even more grateful I have no family. The only domestic tranquility I worry about is rarely disturbed, since my dogs have no opinions about politics.

Posted by RedPhillip at August 5, 2010 06:58 PM

RedPhillip

Dogs are great, and I highly recommend cats too, because although they are actually opinionated, they have good manners and keep their opinions to themselves.

Posted by N E at August 5, 2010 09:21 PM

NE: Ever mention WTC7 to the brother-in-law?

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 6, 2010 02:09 AM

Yeah, In the Loop is well worth checking out.

Posted by Batocchio at August 6, 2010 02:56 AM

"I highly recommend cats too, because although they are actually opinionated, they have good manners and keep their opinions to themselves."

No cat I've ever served fits that description. They're great animals, but they are not self-effacing.

Posted by Donald Johnson at August 6, 2010 07:39 AM

Donald Johnson

I presently have three cats, and they are all indoor-outdoor cats and often leave small mammal and bird body parts on the front porch and back deck to our disapproval, but none of them has ever accompanied the slaughter with a bombastic diatribe against Iran, Iraq, Osama, terrorists, North Korea, communists, or even liberals. So I have to agree with you that maybe their manners aren't really all that good, especially in you're a chipmunk or sparrow, but at least they aren't quite warmongers.

Mike Meyer

You are too funny, but the man even now thinks Lee Harvey Oswald was a KGB agent, so I don't think his mind is open to what David Ray Griffin or Steven Jones or Niels Harrit and the like have to say. Even if I told him all the things I know and left out the ones I suspect, he'd blow a fuse in his brain. Some years ago I tried to change his mind in smaller ways, and before long he opted out of that torture.

Posted by N E at August 6, 2010 12:03 PM

My cat Pau died in January (Dinah is still with us, though). Think of the following as a rap song.

This is your Pau - what a great cat
Enjoy your Pau and love him like that

Groove with the rhythm, bopping down the block
move his paws and tail as he go hip-hop

Purr at the neighbor, purr at the sky
Life is a blessing - why ask why

Energy moving his fur and bones -
This is his life - this is his home

Something good happen - maybe soon
Maybe next week - maybe next June

Count all your blessings - let go of strife
This is your Pau - treasure his life

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d. at August 6, 2010 01:31 PM

Mistah Charley,

I like the song, its great. Sorry about your cat Pau, he was obviously loved.

Posted by Rob Payne at August 6, 2010 10:09 PM

Love your poem, mistah charley phd. Just love it.

Posted by cat's guest at August 7, 2010 12:32 AM