Comments: Trained

The 'Trick Dogs" R US. They have always been US. Yellow Press-a term that's old as dirt in America.

Posted by Mike Meyer at June 26, 2010 09:13 PM

DON'T BUY their rag, it looks and smells like a shitty disposable diaper.

Posted by Mike Meyer at June 27, 2010 12:05 AM

Likewise, from the long suppressed introduction to Animal Farm (which Chomsky has noted and quoted):

. . . "it is not because they are frightened of prosecution but because they are frightened of public opinion. In this country intellectual cowardice is the worst enemy a writer or journalist has to face, and that fact does not seem to me to have had the discussion it deserves."

. . . "The sinister fact about literary censorship in England is that it is largely voluntary. Unpopular ideas can be silenced, and inconvenient facts kept dark, without the need for any official ban. Anyone who has lived long in a foreign country will know of instances of sensational items of news - things which on their own merits would get the big headlines - being kept right out of the British press, not because the Government intervened but because of a general tacit agreement that 'it wouldn't do' to mention that particular fact."

The author of a respected book on the British Official Secrets Act has concluded/confirmed that the law is less important than the deference of the British press to the government and public opinion.

It's the same here.

Posted by N E at June 27, 2010 12:55 AM

Stop insulting dogs.

Posted by abb1 at June 27, 2010 03:05 AM

Too bad you had to cite that monster, Susan Power, to make your point.

Posted by Rojo at June 27, 2010 07:59 AM

Rojo, is Samantha aka Susan Power a monster because of her blindness to genocide that the US elite won't acknowledge, because she married Cass Sunstein, or for some other reason (that I don't know)?

Posted by N E at June 27, 2010 09:42 AM

NE, in reply to your question to Rojo: Yes.

Posted by RedPhillip at June 27, 2010 10:22 AM

RedPhillip. Funny. I guess that's what I get for asking a compound question.

Posted by N E at June 27, 2010 11:20 AM

Samantha Power's work is of some limited use--Jon just demonstrated that. But yeah, she's a funny variety of apparatchik (sp?)--the conscience of the Serious People.

Posted by Donald Johnson at June 27, 2010 11:33 AM

To my mind, she's a monster for putting a humanitarian gloss on American foreign policy.

I also was making a reference to the ginned-up controversy when she called our current Secretary of State a monster.

Posted by Rojo at June 27, 2010 02:49 PM

Rojo--I'd forgotten but remember now that Power called Hillary a monster, so you slipped a clever one by me there.

I agree with Donald Johnson that like her hubby Cass Sunstein, she is the conscience of the Serious People. I read her book about genocide and barely remember it except that I felt like I was reading Time magazine. I liked Cass because of his book about FDR's Second Bill of Rights (And Why We Need It More Than Ever), but then he decided people who think the government does evil are crazy and need to be censored, which makes me think he's an arrogant ass and a public menace.

Posted by N E at June 27, 2010 04:03 PM

I notice that I failed to acknowledge my Susan/Samantha error. Consider error acknowledged. I think I might have made a Freudian conflation with Susan Rice, also a monster (one need go no further than her flacking for Israeli/US policy on Gaza for conclusive evidence on that).

Posted by Rojo at June 27, 2010 10:53 PM

The American Frankenstein gots and is comprized of many parts, about 300 million of them, more or less.

Posted by Mike Meyer at June 28, 2010 02:16 AM