Comments: Bob Somerby Has the Day Off

Right on as ususal, Jon. Keep up the good work.

Posted by cemmcs at June 25, 2010 08:29 PM

I love FAIR too.

Journalists always have been fired for the best things they do and promoted for the worst. you can read the first book of I.F. Stone's hero George Seldes online now.

Posted by N E at June 25, 2010 11:23 PM

The tendency for the Goldbergs of this world - and we have more than a few local equivalents here in Oz - to remain employed despite their extraordinary and longstanding talent for being wrong reminds me of Tom Lehrer's joke about New Math: "Remember, it's more important to understand what you're doing than get the right answer." Though here, of course, "what you're doing" is clearer as "who you're working for".

Parrot the orthodoxy and you'll never lose your gig. You can get sacked for being subversive and wrong, but if you really want a speedy trip out the door try being subversive and right. The Goldberg ilk will go blue calling for your head on a stick. They take accurate dissidence as a personal insult, which, of course, it is.

If it's any consolation, Goldberg is clearly getting a kicking for this, which, among other things, allows us the fun of watching him attempt to, for some reason, defend the notion that Saddam Hussein had links to Al Qaeda.

Posted by weaver at June 26, 2010 05:19 AM

See also.

Posted by weaver at June 26, 2010 05:54 AM

weaver--"You can get sacked for being subversive and wrong, but if you really want a speedy trip out the door try being subversive and right."

exactly!

Posted by N E at June 26, 2010 01:29 PM

When I canceled my delivered to my home subscription to the Atlantc, I wrote them a note saying I would not pay for a magazine that employs Goldberg while the Iraq war waged (and truthfully, even if it ended tomorrow, I would not resubscribe.) That was over 2 years ago. They never responded.

Posted by Matt at June 28, 2010 10:04 AM