Comments: Knowing About Potosi

Crocodile tears indeed.

Bill Clinton at least plays a convincing role when he feels the pain of the poor people he screwed over with his neoliberal policies.

This has become the requisite skill for a Democratic politician: the ability to play concerned while you screw that person over.

Posted by Walt Wit Man at May 7, 2010 02:09 AM

Yeah I gotta agree with the more cynical interpretation. Just like when Obama recognized the overthrow of Mossadegh. He'd still overthrow a democratically elected government in a heartbeat.

Posted by Andrew at May 7, 2010 10:11 AM

You guys are such heartless cynics. Don't you realize that Satan is really, fundamentally on our side? He campaigned for change, to recognize the basic human rights of the damned, and he called for an end to the endless wasteful Cold War with Heaven, even though Yahweh is the greatest threat to Hell's interests in the region, as long as Heaven dismantles its arsenal of WMDs. It's not Satan's fault that he's surrounded by hard-liners who conspire to undermine his efforts, who carry out false-flag operations that he doesn't approve, and profit from the ongoing conflict? But I believe that Satan is basically a good devil, and needs our help to bring about the change he really, sincerely wants as much as we do. Just remember what happened to JFK; I'll bet Satan does.

I know you're all going to sneer at this. You won't admit that any Lord of Darkness has been anything but a brain-snacking, soul-smoking monster. Look, I admit this is a personal concern of mine. Ever since Vatican II, I've been accumulating a vast personal library on demonology, enabling me to seek out the Truth about all this. The rest of you would just rather close your eyes and sashay along complacently, refusing to acknowledge what's really going on. But we're never going to have peace until we face reality.

Posted by Duncan at May 7, 2010 11:48 AM

Duncan

You really should seek out Dennis Miller. I think the two of you would really hit it off.

Posted by N E at May 7, 2010 01:34 PM

Our friends at Wikipedia inform us that Mr. Rosner is also one of the authors of a notorious "liberal hawk" document from 2003

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d., j.s.p.s. at May 7, 2010 03:28 PM

I noticed something interesting in Rosner's wording. It's one of those elisions that seems subtle at first, until you think about how huge it is. The 'bupkus' that those natives got wasn't equal to 'zilch', as in no economic benefit, no compensation; they certainly got that, but they also got the destruction of their way of life, the dismantling of their social systems, and the degradation of their environment. That's a lot worse than just not getting paid for something you weren't using anyway.
Also, I've noticed (having read Galeano, I've known about the atrocity of Potosi for some time, even though I live in the USA) that descriptions of the Potosi mines and descriptions of Hell often bear remarkable similarities.

Posted by Justin Parker at May 7, 2010 05:03 PM

Good catch Mr. Charley ph.d. Those guys are Progressive Internationalists like Clean Coal is clean. Pollack, Diamond, Bob Kerrey--hawks all, just multilateral hawks instead of unilateral hawks.

The fact that somebody knows some history isn't enough to make them okay. Teddy Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge knew a lot of history by politician standards. As did Hitler.

Posted by N E at May 7, 2010 05:37 PM