Comments: New Tomdispatch

Where's the cartoon?

Posted by Marcus at January 4, 2010 01:44 PM

Maybe the least possible debate, but no one trapped somewhere for a days with the cable shows blaring in the background can think we do anything with the least possible discussion. For the past few days I have faintly heard in the back of my head the din of a hundred "experts" on terror talking about underwear bombs and security threats and screening and the danger of releasing prisoners from Gitmo to Yemen, and probably every other aspect of the war on terror that Joe Lieberman et al love to talk about. I actually suspect that bombarded with this noise is a milder version of part of what is done to the prisoners at Gitmo.

Posted by N E at January 4, 2010 02:01 PM

Great post, however I do disagree with the Fort Hood episode as the only one of its kind. If you want to count Major Hasan in the "GWOT" statistics, please add the other military members who cracked and took out some folks. Not only that, there are plenty of cases where someone decided to take out mass quantities of innocents in the USA but our fear mongers have not bothered to "connect" those events to the bogieman.

Posted by Blakenator at January 4, 2010 02:11 PM

True there's lots of discussion, but only on limited terms. Today, I heard Sec. Clinton refer to the "war in Yemen." What war in Yemen? Are we at war in Yemen? Wouldn't know it from watching CNN. I expect an uptick in secret wars
now that they know the nation has gotten war-weary.

Posted by Paul Avery at January 4, 2010 09:32 PM

Ongoing psy-war on yammer from malcontents -- coming. Just wait until they get their duckies in line. Get their spreadsheet/db datalinks to crisis [um, not quite] stations. Or, generally, spreadshot from 12 gauge as empire lists undeniably to stabbad. Hopefully, we can find some cover and continue assaultive comment until electricity gives out. Electrolysis of meme until relative zero is reached. When alternative is depleted, Nemesis is in the curtains, fiddling the bones...

Posted by Woodyeofalb at January 4, 2010 09:50 PM

Hmm. Doesn't surprise me that Sec Clinton referred to the "war in Yemen." She strikes me as among the more worthless of the lot of them, not much different from Lieberman in the ways that count.

The wars we're waging seemingly EVERYWHERE in the Islamic world aren't all that secret, even if nobody pays much attention to them, and mistah charley's MICFiC (that still always makes me chuckle) can move public opinion any way it wants when it has to. Without that great system of control, we could never sustain the absurd militarism of the US, which is squeezing the life of the US population decade by decade like a python eating a wild boar. Except at least the wild boar probably recognizes the situation it's in.

I need to read some more Solnit.

Posted by N E at January 5, 2010 12:14 AM