Comments: Bach's Double Violin Concerto (Allegro)

The harpsichordist is *rocking out*. I'm guessing he's trying to conduct and play at the same time?

Posted by Guest at November 9, 2009 09:10 PM

Very lovely music indeed Prof Chazelle and I have always enjoyed this piece. Thank you. And though, I have started to learn to appreciate Bach's music, I guess I do not have sophisticated enough taste to recognise different quality of music composed by various composers. For me, my favourite violin music is 'Dvorak's Romance'...it is heavenly! And at a platonic level!

Posted by Rupa Shah at November 9, 2009 09:14 PM

Since you seem to like so many different kinds of music, I'm wondering what you'd think of the Beat Farmers' "Happy Boy". But then sometimes I'm like that.

Posted by Jonathan Versen at November 10, 2009 02:31 AM

Honestly you lost me with "VII-i cadence," but the E7-Am thingy sure reminds me of "Yesterday."

Posted by godoggo at November 10, 2009 02:41 AM

Did you mean ii V? You got me mentally sorting through all those Beatles records I was weaned on for a ii to V of vi in hopes of foiling you, but nothing so far...

Posted by godoggo at November 10, 2009 02:50 AM

OK, OK, I getcha, VII i would be G Am, yes? Which brings me back to "Yesterday," if only it could. Sorry if trollish. Interesting post and insomnia, which don't mix well.

Posted by godoggo at November 10, 2009 03:15 AM

I know Bernie says rock stars don't play serious music, but that's clearly Pete Townsend playing harpsichord.

Posted by Marcus at November 10, 2009 04:08 AM

Bernie?

Posted by Jethro Schwarz at November 10, 2009 06:46 AM

How long before robots play with greater feeling than humans? (covers head to avoid brickbats)

The other day was yakking with friends about work dissatisfaction, then Scott Horton at Harpers posted that clip of Karajan conducting Eroica. Herbert just looked so bummed out, like he couldn't wait for it to be over.

Posted by Oarwell at November 10, 2009 09:38 PM

I wouldn't call this a children's blog, but I do appreciate the effort made to keep it family-friendly.

And Prof. Chazelle, while we're speaking of children and in honor of Armistice Day, I wonder if you are a fan of and would be willing to write about Jethro Tull's War Child - either the title cut or my personal favorite, Back Door Angels?

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d. at November 11, 2009 11:21 AM

Oh, you French people and your food. Pretty nice piece of music and playing, though. Yummy.

Posted by Svensker at November 14, 2009 04:50 PM