Comments: Bach's Mass in Bm ("Agnus Dei")

Gosh! What a voice!
Now, only if I was a catholic!
Beautiful music!
Thank you Prof Chazelle.

Posted by Rupa Shah at October 21, 2009 11:04 PM

Part of what it means to be a devout Lutheran (or Catholic) is that your child's death IS the death of Jesus (and vice versa).

Posted by G Alkon at October 21, 2009 11:27 PM

I've always considered Beethoven's 9th a flawed masterpiece because the 4th movement seems so cobbled together compared to the near-perfection of the first 3.

That's not to say the 4th movement's not great as well, or that I have any idea how it could have been better (there's no point in saying there shouldn't have been singing, the way some people do; that's what B's vision was, he was going to attempt it, and that's that).

Posted by Russ at October 22, 2009 05:49 AM

Very powerful music, I got tears in my eyes. This is pure music, the music Bach had to write, nothing more, nothing less. And that is the sign of any "true" music also today. You don't even have to like it, but you know it and you respect the art.

Thanks

Posted by mts at October 22, 2009 07:01 AM

I used to deliver calzones for a living, and when I did, I frequently listened to classical music at ill-advised volume levels. One fine night, I was approached by a belligerent drunk, who asked me if I was listening to Vivaldi. When I told him, "No, this is Beethoven's 6th symphony", he grew angry, and when I stood my ground, explaining that I prefered romantic and modern composers to the baroque, he attempted to settle the argument with his fists. Fortunately for all involved, his friends dragged him off. Sometimes I miss the nights of driving around a deserted campus at 2 am.

Posted by Light Rail Tycoon at October 22, 2009 10:38 AM

LRT: priceless! (Beethoven's 6th, now that's my idea of a great symphony.)

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at October 22, 2009 02:26 PM

Beethoven's 6th is my favourite of all symphonies. When I heard it for the first time, I felt like I was out in an open field with gentle breeze flowing and butterflies flying. It was so beautiful..... and I did not even know, it was called PASTORAL symphony! Gorgeous and gentle music that...

Posted by Rupa Shah at October 22, 2009 08:13 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Philippe Jaroussky lately and really loving it. I dont like this guys's voice quite as much but I would guess he's technically better - better control, etc. In any case, I'm totally digging the countertenor scene - thanks!

Also, I've been listening to Fritz Wunderlich's 1958 rendition of 'Sanfte soll mein Todeskummer' from the Easter Oratorio and it's literally restoring my faith in humanity. I can't believe how beautiful it is. Just can't believe it.

Bach is so full of beauty!

Posted by Guest at October 22, 2009 10:49 PM

about the 20th or so time of listening to liszt's piano version of the finale of lvb's 9th did i realize how craptacular it really was. whoever put that piece of junk on the Voyager...i hope nixon really shit-canned his ass.

Posted by anemonous at October 23, 2009 12:33 PM

hey, by the way what do you mean by "sustained-only vibrato"? thanks much!

Posted by Guest at October 24, 2009 06:28 PM

Vibrato was frowned upon in the Baroque/Classical era, but Scholl uses a very light vibrato over long, sustained notes -- never short ones -- and he does it only for dynamics, not for emotional effect. I don't want to think how many years of vocal training it takes to be able to pull that off.

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at October 25, 2009 12:40 AM

Thanks!

Posted by Guest at October 25, 2009 11:46 AM

wow, i'm sure i feel so edified by this...

Posted by jerry at October 25, 2009 08:55 PM

The combination of Bach and Scholl is just wonderful. Thank you for posting.

Posted by Svensker at October 26, 2009 09:07 AM

I guess, I am getting addicted to Bach music (thank you Prof Chazelle) now and I found this absolutely amazing piece of music by him so with your permission, here it goes...........

"Andreas Scholl - Bach - Vergnügte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust"

ps this is specially for people like me who are getting familiar with Bach's music.

Posted by Rupa Shah at October 26, 2009 03:15 PM