Comments: The Real Death Panels

Ooh, neat, I'm going to use that excuse.

Me: I'm sick of hearing about how evil corporations are. After all, it's not as if they do business in a foreign country and don't share their profits with the people there.

Counterpoint: They DON'T share their profits with the people there.

Me: Okay, bad example. But look at all the jobs the big corporations provide. How would Americans make a living without them?

Counterpoint: Millions of Americans have lost jobs in the past three years from giant corporations.

Me: Okay, bad example, . . . ad nauseum

Does "ad nauseum" mean "to the vomitorium"? If not, it should.

Posted by catherine at August 20, 2009 03:43 PM

In Latin, nauseam = accusative of 'nausea', otherwise known as sea-sickness (originally from ship = 'naus' in Greek, not sea = 'sea' :).

Posted by saurabh at August 20, 2009 04:09 PM

These sick mf's suggest to me that death panels might just be a good thing. We do have a majority don't we.

Posted by knowdoubt at August 20, 2009 04:53 PM

I wonder whether this "error" was a reporter's attempt to punk his/her editor.

Posted by Aaron Datesman at August 20, 2009 05:03 PM

Aaron, I find your lack of faith in IBD's malignant ignorance disturbing. You're hereby sentenced to read IBD's editorials for the next week—e.g. this one, which compares House Democrats to the "East German Stasi" and says that right-wing screeching at town hall meetings shows that "even after decades of a demoralizing leftward drift, Americans have their limits".

(I'm just kidding about the sentence, of course; flogging would be more merciful.)

Posted by John Caruso at August 20, 2009 05:30 PM

Well, if that cheapskate Stephen Hawking was willing to pay a bit extra to get the talking-machine with a British accent, the good people at Investors Business Daily wouldn't have to guess which country he was from.

Posted by SteveB at August 20, 2009 05:52 PM

What are you going to do? These folks know that the best defense is a good offense. People are stupid and cowardly enough to be convinced by rhetoric transparently designed to serve the least sympathetic industry on the planet after the oil & gas industry, that is, the insurance industry. You get stupid and cowardly people to do things by fooling and scaring them, which, amazingly, works even if the policies you're advancing *demonstrably and clearly* hurt those same stupid and cowardly people. Sometimes in my more cynical moments I imagine that the biggest difference between liberals and conservatives these days are that liberals feel the need to pretend that stupid and cowardly people aren't, whereas conservatives are not hampered by such denial and happily exploit the sh*t out of such scared morons.

Posted by Tommy Alpha Queequeg at August 20, 2009 10:22 PM

tremendous post

Posted by N E at August 20, 2009 11:11 PM

Boring story - back when I was just out of high school, I worked as a page at the local library. One of my jobs was to set out all the day's editions of the newspapers. Even at that tender age, I remember being shocked at what a complete piece of garbage the IBD was. I thought of as the WSJ for *complete* morons. I later learned to have more respect for the WSJ, but I am glad to know that the IBD has kept up their reputation in my eyes.

Posted by Erik at August 21, 2009 02:29 AM

People are stupid and cowardly enough to be convinced by rhetoric transparently designed to serve the least sympathetic industry on the planet...

In the end, the insurance industry will get exactly what it wants out of health care "reform", because Max Baucus and the leadership of the Democratic Party are bought-and-paid-for tools of the insurance industry. Glenn Beck and his moronic followers may provide some amusement along the way, but they're mostly a distraction, and the conclusion you've come to - that we "lost" the health care battle because the right wing is ruthless and effective and the American people are morons - is exactly the conclusion that most liberal democrats will come to in order to shield themselves from understanding what their party is really about (not saying that's you're objective here.)

Posted by SteveB at August 21, 2009 08:26 AM

I think I can embrace death panels at this point, we are in the majority are we not? These people who think intimidation and killing an elected President because he doesn't represent their view, but those of the majority probably can only be cured by a death panel, I would trust their judgment.

Posted by knowdoubt at August 21, 2009 09:06 AM

It's not a "right/left" thang, it's owners vs. serfs. Why obscure that reality with polarizing terms that function to keep the People divided? During the worst financial crisis in US history, millions unemployed, foreclosed on, etc., Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and other banks post record profits and award themselves huge bonuses, courtesy of the serfs, ehr, taxpayers and their progeny, lo, to the 7th generation.

They own us. Since We the People won't rebel, we remain their chattel. Helots, if you prefer, a transition form between freemen and slaves.

Or prawns, if you saw District 9. Prawns kept docile with cat food.

Posted by Oarwell at August 21, 2009 10:33 AM

I meant those of the minority probably can only be cured...

Posted by knowdoubt at August 21, 2009 03:59 PM

You don't need health insurance if you're already dead. That guy with ALS was just soaking the system.

Posted by ChrisV82 at August 23, 2009 05:27 PM