Comments: Martin Feldstein's Long History Of Hackery

So, is he a cynical profiteer or a useful idiot? Sounds more like an idiot.

Posted by abb1 at July 30, 2009 06:48 AM

To risk Social Security to play the stock market is to make war on the working class and it is appalling that Harvard professors would advocate it. Workers of the world unite. Any blue collar worker who finds himself in the position of being able to really stick it to some pompous professor from Harvard should... Wait a minute, why does this remind me of something? Oh, uh, never mind.

Posted by cemmcs at July 30, 2009 07:55 AM

I clicked on the link to "Feldstein then realized he was wrong," because I've never seen a Harvard Professor realize he was wrong, and wanted to see what that looks like, but I didn't find anything that I - a mere mortal who did not go to Harvard - can translate as "Hey, I was wrong." What am I missing?

Posted by SteveB at July 30, 2009 09:17 AM

Feldstein plays the most common game ever: the truth is what's good for him. He's hardly alone. As reported at TPM, Charles Millard at PBGC lately took this game to new heights while talking to Goldman Sachs 163 times during the year when he put hundreds of billions of dollars in federal pensions in the market, at a remarkably poor time for federal employees to say the least. These guys NEVER make idiotic mistakes that are bad for them personally.

As for Veritas at Harvard, that is about as good as "The Truth Will Set You Free" in the foyer at Langley.

By the way, since the only value of bullshit is being funny, here's a link to William Shatner reading part of Sara Palin's resignation speech:

Posted by N E at July 30, 2009 10:18 AM

I've learned quite a lot from Dean Baker, VERY sharp.

Posted by Mike Meyer at July 30, 2009 11:15 AM

NE, thanks for the Shatner link. No poetaster She! I wept tears of snow.

I didn't realize Shatner was so short. Funny how the camera can trick you.

Posted by Oarwell at July 30, 2009 11:46 AM

Mike Meyer:

Dean Baker is actually a god. He only pretends to be mortal because being the god of economics is a little embarrassing when all the gods get together.

Posted by N E at July 30, 2009 12:07 PM

I didn't realize Shatner was so short.

Actually, Conan O'Brien is seven feet tall.

Posted by SteveB at July 30, 2009 06:22 PM

ImdB says O'Brien is 6'4".

Posted by Carl at July 30, 2009 07:51 PM

I didn't realize Shatner was so short.

It was the boots.

Posted by NomadUK at July 31, 2009 03:43 AM

It could be a case of Shatner maintaining a constant volume as he expands horizontally.

This is the age of the expanding man.

Posted by artguy at July 31, 2009 04:33 AM

"Dean Baker is actually a god."

Well, one of the better ones, I'll grant you.

Posted by bobbyp at July 31, 2009 04:31 PM

If you think universities are left-wing institutions, try starting a union at one.

Posted by Hogan at July 31, 2009 04:52 PM

I've never thought of Dean Baker in the religous sense, more in the order of commonsense.

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 1, 2009 03:47 PM

Mike Meyer:

Ok, fine, he's the god of common sense. We need one.

Posted by N E at August 2, 2009 12:24 AM