Comments: Colin Powell Still World's Biggest Asshole

Before reading this I would have answered Dick Cheney, but i'm now convinced that he's more of an infected boil, or maybe a malignant tumor. Brilliant! Ten out of ten!

Posted by Not Exactly at May 25, 2009 04:51 PM

Colin Powell is a pathological liar. I never did believe a word he ever said and stopped listening to what he had to say, long time ago.

Posted by Rupa Shah at May 25, 2009 06:48 PM

Colin Powell Still World's Biggest Asshole

Far be it from me to argue with that, but what about goatse?

Posted by John Caruso at May 25, 2009 09:20 PM

The system is structured in such a way that Colin Powell can't tell the truth. He wants to, but to his infinite chagrin he does not find that in his power. Can't you accept that and cry for his pain too?

Posted by Save the Oocytes at May 25, 2009 09:59 PM

StO:
When Colin Powell was a public servant, if he was a man of integrity ( and not so ambitious ), he could have easily resigned instead of telling lies. And now that he is a private citizen, he does not have to say ANYTHING. But, if he insists on giving interviews, he is expected to tell the truth. If he does not, he is a liar. I am sorry but I CAN NOT feel his pain.

Posted by Rupa Shah at May 25, 2009 10:19 PM

StO was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure.

but yea Colin Powell, despicable war criminal and congenital liar. belongs in jail for the remainder of his pathetic existence.

that Obomba sought his endorsement should have been a one of many tipoffs that Mr. Change was a fraud and that his "opposition" to the Iraq clusterfuck was posturing only.

Posted by ran at May 26, 2009 12:02 AM

that Obomba sought his endorsement should have been a one of many tipoffs

It not only should have been, it was.

I must say, though, that in the contention for title of World's Biggest Asshole, the list of nominees seems to me to be very long, indeed, and I can't quite be certain that Mr Powell is at the top.

But, hey, I'm happy to give JS the benefit of the doubt and assume he's vetted everyone else.

Posted by NomadUK at May 26, 2009 07:33 AM

Everyone bows before the Israel Lobby and feigns ignorance of what's going on and for what reasons. I'd just assume anyone who could get in any position of power in US government has long ago sold their soul to the highest bidder.

See Colin Powell threaten Syria at an AIPAC event in the BBC documentary, "The War Party" (part 1 of 5)
youtube.com/watch?v=8vWZTTrceV8

Watch Powell's chief of staff Lawrence Wilkerson discuss the Neocon/AIPAC agenda:
youtube.com/watch?v=N294FMDok98
youtube.com/watch?v=IHtgYCS12ZE

Philip Weiss on the Neoconservative agenda:

"In terms of their politics, they were almost all Democrats and then as soon as the Democratic party suggested that it wasn't going to have a strong military, Norman Podhoretz and Irving Kristol, the grandfathers of this movement, they went Republican. Why? Because they said, back in the 70's, a strong American military is needed to protect Israel."

Download an mp3 of Phil saying the above here (9:45 minutes in)
antiwar.com/radio/2008/07/12/philip-weiss/

Posted by PhilipWeissFan at May 26, 2009 10:57 AM

Colin Powell Still World's Biggest Asshole

And given the competition, that's saying somethin', eh?

Need an award for such a feat.

I remember way back when Powell was being considered for (was it VP) and I said to a friend of mine, a long-time African American civil rights activist, that she must be proud to see a black person in such a position. I thought she'd have a stroke. She quickly filled me in on his behavior in Viet Nam following the My Lai massacre, and other actions, and I was suitably chastened. Also ashamed that I had assumed that any black person "honored" by the U.S. would also be well thought of by all other black Americans.

Posted by catherine at May 26, 2009 11:37 AM

Powell has to have signed off on al-Libi's rendition to Egypt, that is, he has to have certified that the U.S. asked for and got assurances from Egypt that al-Libi would not be tortured.

But Powell knew full well what he was doing, and what would happen to al-Libi. These fake assurances were licenses for outsourced torture.

Some time after al-Libi was sent to Egypt (early 2002), when the renditions to torture were being ramped up, the OLC produced a memo "legalizing" dispensing with the Secretary of State certification. But I don't think that al-Libi's was the only such cert he signed.

Posted by Nell at May 26, 2009 07:53 PM

Maybe not. The OLC memo is 3 March 2002, and the al-Libi rendition was most likely in Feb 2002.

There's also a possibility that they cut Powell out of the loop altogether, and the OLC memo is yet another effort to retroactively legalize illegal activity already underway.

But Powell knew that the torture was going on; he or his deputy Armitage have to have attended Principals meetings at which they torture techniques were discussed, so his protestations of ignorance now are worthless.

Posted by Nell at May 26, 2009 08:12 PM

What a collection of nitwits...yes Colin Powell is a very large asshole, and like you fvckwads, a very liberal asshole.

Now, childred, you better hide, because we are coming after you next.

Posted by Hoot Gibson at May 29, 2009 07:18 AM