Comments: Bunking with Bashir

To get put in a cell "they" gotta be ARRESTED first. I just don't see that happening right now, maybe later. Bashir would be killing those folks anyway, which is why the charges are imposed in the first place. The ICC should have press those charges a while back. Perhaps a large reward for capture may work.
As for Georgie, he's OUR problem. To be world leaders WE (meaning US=OUR legal system=AMERICAN CITIZENS=U&I) need to prosecute Georgie and Dick for their many indescretions. Waiting on the world to clean OUR dirty laundry IS what brought US here. 'Tiz the PRICE of no impeachment, so NOW WE have to pay. Nothing's free, everything gots a price.

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 6, 2009 07:38 PM

No doubt the prosecution of Bush Co. for war crimes is all a part of God-Emperor Obama's super-ultra-secret plan. It's not like the democratic leadership knew about and approved of the Bush administration's torture regime. They're just biding their time. Yeah, that's it.

Posted by AlanSmithee at March 7, 2009 09:52 AM

I like the Pinochet model: promise the dictator amnesty in return for a transfer to civilian power, then arrest him when he leaves the country.

Posted by SteveB at March 7, 2009 12:24 PM

SteveB: Pinochet IS STILL free so that worked out well for everybody, especially Pinochet. (He's still rich and living like a king, too)

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 7, 2009 01:04 PM

Rupa Shah: Bashir is STILL free and in office. Maybe he'll get in a car crash like Mugumbe's prime minister.

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 7, 2009 01:13 PM

Damnit Alan, for once I gotta agree with YOU.

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 7, 2009 01:17 PM

Mike Meyer:

Yes, Bashir is free. BUT the process has started. I have Sudanese friends with whom I have discussed this issue and the way they have explained it to me, it is more complicated than the MSM are presenting. Of course, that DOES NOT TAKE ANYTHING AWAY from horrible crisis in Darfur and the tragedy of civilians who are caught in between..

I was referring to the empty cell of Milosevic.

And if I may, Pinochet died in Dec 2006

What really was shocking was, he had as many supporters as opponents in his country and on BBC, I watched thousands mourning his passing away. The country was really divided.

Posted by Rupa Shah at March 7, 2009 01:30 PM

Rupa Shah: I didn't know he had died, but then NOBODY beats the Reaper. (good riddance) Was it old age?
As for YOUR Sudanese Friends, perhaps a lesson may be learned from OUR Iraqi experience. ONE BULLET could have saved a lot of grief and expence. Saddam's kangaroo trial and TV hanging sure didn't help the Iraqi People.

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 7, 2009 01:54 PM

What really was shocking was, [Pinochet] had as many supporters as opponents in his country and on BBC, I watched thousands mourning his passing away. The country was really divided.

Is this really the case, or is it just an example of the media's need to be "fair and balanced" by showing one pro-Pinochet person for every anti-Pinochet person?

I know our own media was running "Nation divided over Iraq war" stories long after the public had made up its mind.

Posted by SteveB at March 7, 2009 02:47 PM

SteveB:
From what I saw on TV the day he died and accounts I have read, this was a 'genuinely' divided population.

His supporters strongly believed that he had saved their country from "MARXISM"!

ps there are several reports indicating the same, online.

Posted by Rupa Shah at March 7, 2009 03:21 PM

Two t'ings.
1. Don't believe a word of what the media say about the Sudan. They appear to be promoting someone's agenda and it isn't the Sudanese people's.

2. The empty cell of Milosovic. His former gaoler says "...the climax to his career as prison guard would have been to lock the door on Bush and Blair."

Posted by sam_m at March 7, 2009 04:12 PM