Comments: "Sind Blitze, Sind Donner in Wolken Verschwunden"

PHENOMENAL, Prof Chazelle!
What passion in those voices!!
Superb!
Many thanks.

Posted by Rupa Shah at January 9, 2009 04:04 PM

I think the two best things humanity does is music and comedy. The glory of Bach’s music is timeless as far as I am concerned. There is very little dignity in life but when you listen to Bach you can forget about all that for at least a little while. Oddly he was more known for his organ playing during his life than his composition skills. Perhaps his modulation from minor to major was also a brief reprieve from the tyranny of the dominant/tonic cycle of western music. Something that has always interested me is how do we know that baroque music is played correctly in modern times since there were no recording devices during Bach’s time. Some people claim slow movements are played too slow and fast movements are played too fast. Also the instruments were different in those days particularly the woodwinds in their method of construction. For example flutes would have been wooden while today they are mostly made of silver and the keying systems have also been greatly improved over time. Also I believe if I recall my music history correctly most of the musicians were not professionals in the sense that that is what they did for a living so the level of musicianship might have been very different as well. Regardless Bach’s music is gorgeous.

Posted by Rob Payne at January 9, 2009 05:15 PM

Bach wrote two Passions, John and Matthew. But actually scholars believe he wrote 5 of them! Which means 3 of these works have been lost! Imagine literature without Macbeth, Hamlet, and King Lear...

Now imagine someone discovering the lost manuscripts!

Think what a sad place the world will be in 1000 years from now if a wikipedia entry reads: "Scholars believe Jonathan Schwarz had a blog."

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at January 9, 2009 06:25 PM

I don’t know about a 1,000 years from now but I do know I wouldn’t know half as much as I know now if Jonathan Schwarz didn’t have a blog.

Posted by Rob Payne at January 9, 2009 07:34 PM

Don't underestimate your cranial capacity, Rob.

An analogous rediscovery occurred recently with the believed-to-be-lost original version of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis".

Posted by saurabh at January 9, 2009 11:50 PM

I second Rob Payne.
Not only I have learnt a lot at ATR, I have also realized how little I know and how much more I need to learn.

Posted by Rupa Shah at January 10, 2009 06:38 PM