Comments: George Monbiot Is A Dirty Plagiarizing Bastard

-2% a year, yeah right. Expect to see emissions rise as petrol depletion makes coal king again in the 21st century. Later when it's gone we'll get the rest of the wood. That's how humanity rolls, baby.

Posted by Cloud at November 30, 2008 05:17 PM

There ought to be a name for it! The Alfred Russell Wallace syndrome?

Posted by Jonathan S at November 30, 2008 05:24 PM

John, this is why you need to invite Robin Leach and me to your swanky parties, so we can vouch for you.

Posted by Jonathan Versen at December 1, 2008 12:07 AM

I think Monbiot has done the math wrong. An 80% cut over then next 42 years requires an annual reduction of about 4% (.96^42 = 0.2). I think he just divided 80 by 42, which doesn't take into the effects of compounding.

Not a big deal, but I was very impressed by his book, which, as far as I recall, didn't include simple mistakes of this sort.

Posted by SteveB at December 1, 2008 01:04 PM

I'd guess he meant "2% of 2008 emissions" per year.

Posted by John Caruso at December 1, 2008 01:24 PM

I'd guess he meant "2% of 2008 emissions" per year.

Yeah, that's a possibility. Much better than my alternative hypothesis, which is that the clever "time travel back to 1992" bit is Monbiot's, but he stole the arithmetic errors from you.

Posted by SteveB at December 1, 2008 01:36 PM

George Monbiot Is A Dirty Plagiarizing Bastard

By: John Caruso of The Distant Ocean

... you're living high on the hog from the wads of cash you're collecting for the article you shamelessly cribbed from my offhand comment, and I'm not going to see a penny of it.

FURTHERMORE: This isn't the first time I've felt the sting of Monbiot's pilfering.

______________

A strident rebuke onna blog -- no matter how stinging -- will never assuage yer offended honor.

Such impudent affronts cannot be countenanced w/o reprisals, sir.

I suggest you demand satisfaction in the form of a duel under the oaks at 10 paces.

Posted by David Richey at December 3, 2008 06:39 AM