Comments: Schumann's Etude Symphonique 11 (3 versions)

What a great post. I couldnt pick a favorite (of the 7). Loved the Francois, but also loved the Tipo and the Gilels (something sinister and broken about that one that really appeals). Pollini was a big letdown, especially after spending the past few weeks just loving the absolute dogshit out of his Chopin Nocturnes. Hell if that isn't one of the most perfect records I've ever heard.

Posted by Guest at November 25, 2008 09:40 PM

Prof Chazelle, I was waiting for some "music" post and many thanks for this. It is MAGICAL. I am not familiar with this piece of music ( do not claim to know a lot of it ) and heard it a few times and Samson Francois's rendition is fabulous. Even the sound of his piano is just gorgeous. I enjoyed the Ivo Pogorelich's interpretation too though I found, the two different interpetations had a different effect on my mood!!

I was not sure, if Weissenberg was playing the same piece. It sounded like he was playing too many notes with one hand and the tempo was too fast. ( I am no pianist but it did not sound the same ).

Thank you again.

Posted by Rupa Shah at November 25, 2008 11:09 PM

In the midst of our terrible black hole of a storm, what a refreshing, stimulating offering this his, Bernard.

Your use of the term "magical" is just spot on.

How can one not celebrate the genius of Schumann's alongside Van Gogh's, as well as Beethoven's deafness, Monet's failing ears, and Sylvia Plath's despair?

It disgusts me that so many have inadvertently tried to include George Bush in such company by deeming him "crazy". Vicious? Heartless? Weak? Yes! Insane? He hasn't got the bloody creativity to be insane.

Oh . . . and I can't get enough of Melodious Thunk. Now THERE is insanity I'd die for.

Thank you for the interlude.

Be at peace.

Posted by ddjango at November 25, 2008 11:18 PM

[the rule, ddjango, is to proof before posting]

>> stimulating offering this is . . .

>> Schumann's madness alongside Van Gogh's . . .

[sorry]

Posted by ddjango at November 25, 2008 11:22 PM

I normally don't comment here, although I read daily: Love the music posts, and everything else.

Posted by Compound F at November 26, 2008 02:29 PM

Cool. and FWIW, I've never dissed Monk.

Posted by Kenny G at November 27, 2008 04:49 AM

I have an old Angel vinyl of Francois playing the Ravel G Major and D major (for the left hand) piano concerti...absolutely sublime, and unequalled to this day.

Posted by barrisj at November 29, 2008 12:16 AM