Comments: The Tables Have Turned

With Biden on one side and Hillary on the other Obama may be the first prez to come with trainer wheels.

Posted by Rob Payne at November 17, 2008 11:00 PM

Ayup. (I'm practicing!) One of the less-talked-about bits of white privilege is knowing that the rich aren't shafting you because of your race--they're just shafting you.

Posted by will shetterly at November 17, 2008 11:36 PM

You know, sometimes I despair of humanity. And then I come to this blog.

Posted by empty at November 18, 2008 12:28 AM

You are one cynical prick, Schwartz.

Posted by JW at November 18, 2008 01:09 AM

What could be more informative than a Newsweek article on Watts by Rick Perlstein.

Posted by darrelplant at November 18, 2008 01:58 AM

Whenever Americans talk about their government or political system they sound like the characters in an old Henry Fonda Western.
Which taught the lessons once taught in Civics classes, a subject now abandoned because nobody knows what "Civics" is.
The lessons, sad to say, had been learned and passed on. The harm done can't be undone.

Posted by donescobar at November 18, 2008 10:07 AM

As Pete Townsend sang, "I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth." Yes, as a white man I can assure you that I've been screwed over by other white men in power for my entire life. The difference is that the screwing generally started when the amount of my wealth was determined. With skin color the screwing can start right away.

Which is not to deny the rationale for race and racism in this hierarchical society. There was a great essay over at Truthdig months ago about how the drug war (ratcheted up by our first black President, Bill) helps to devalue a part of the working class (African Americans) in order to keep a reserve underclass which will keep down all wages. You know, much the way that having illegals with no rights working overnight at Walmart keeps down the salaries of the upright citizens who work there during the day.

This whole monstrosity works by keeping everyone stratified and teaching everyone to hate and fear those in the stratum below you. Race, religion, whatever it takes. BOHICA. Bend over, here it comes again.

Posted by Bob In Pacifica at November 18, 2008 10:10 AM

I forgot to say in my earlier post that Mel Brooks understood this--remember that great scene in "Blazing Saddles" where he mocks our common gibberish?"

Posted by donescobar at November 18, 2008 10:23 AM

Schwarz, the magic caucasian!

Posted by Rick Perlstein at November 18, 2008 01:16 PM

Nah, it's not that they betray you, necessarily. It's just that no one, unfortunately, is going to fight for you. It's like the song says:

Il n'est pas de sauveurs suprêmes
Ni Dieu, ni César, ni tribun.

Yeah, the tribune in not going to help, unfortunately. The producers have to help themselves, if they care. It's one of those things.

Posted by abb1 at November 18, 2008 02:33 PM

RACISM IS THE POLITICS OF AMERICA AND BIGOTRY HER SOUL.

Posted by Mike Meyer at November 18, 2008 03:01 PM

Hypocrisy is the politics of America and Ignorance her soul.

Posted by donescobar at November 18, 2008 03:33 PM

Yeah, Biden could be his, like, Svengali. Oh, and Obama's not so hot at speaking off the cuff, either.

As someone still capable of feeling abject shame over things that happened in middle school, I truly admire your ability to completely obliterate any memory of the recent past.

Posted by gil mann at November 18, 2008 08:35 PM