Comments: Villa-Lobos's "BB#5"

God I love that piece. I used to play the cello and got to perform it once. Saw the Portland Cello Project do it last year live opening for Pink Martini. It gives you chills.

Posted by Anna in PDX at October 29, 2008 09:29 PM

Thank you, Bernard, that was gorgeous!

Yes, chills, absolutely.

Posted by Mark C at October 29, 2008 09:47 PM

Man, i come here for the political insight, but you really are making me rethink my musical boundaries...this was fantastic.

Posted by sloweducation at October 29, 2008 10:55 PM

Ah, "Jeux Interdits". Not just sad. That film also has some of the most disturbing undercurrents I have ever seen, like the one where Michel kills bugs with a pencil in an imitation of the air raids that are going on outside. "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; They kill us for their sport.", anyone?

The director, Rene Clement, also made probably the most underrated Charles Bronson film of all time, "Rider on the Rain", which also starred Marlene Jobert (Bond hottie Eva Green's mom.), the print out right now is very poor in quality, but it's a very atmospheric little thriller, worth your time.

Also, the boy who played Michel, Georges Poujouly, grew up to star in another French classic, "L'ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud" ("Elevator to the Gallows"), with a score by by Miles Davis. Jeanne Moreau is the lead. You should upload the score here sometime...

Posted by En Ming Hee at October 30, 2008 05:54 AM

Wow. Talk about coincidence. I had never even heard of Jeux Interdits until my friend gave a copy to me for my birthday last month. She hadn't watched it since she was a child; but she had vivid memories of it making her and her brother cry uncontrollably into the corn potage that their mother had fixed for them. I decreed that I would not watch it unless it was with her over corn potage; which we finally got around to doing this past Monday.

It's a wonderful film, and quite funny (though in an unnervingly morbid way) as well as being so sad. I'll never look at a cross the same way again. And the first ten minutes are probably the most harrowing depiction of war in film I've ever seen.

An interesting thought just occurred to me-- if I'm not mistaken, not counting deserters, there wasn't a soldier in sight the entire movie.

Posted by Quin at October 30, 2008 02:01 PM

you know, i can never 'listen' to classical music, but watching the performance is often as good as being there, (minus the acoustics though) so this was good.

chills indeed. great performance. i'll put up forbidden games on my to-rent list. thanks :)

Posted by almostinfamous at October 30, 2008 02:13 PM

Thanks for the post. V-L also arranged it for guitar & voice, as noted in comment#1. In the 1950's Laurindo Almeida and his wife Salli Terri did a great recording of that version.
Bit of trivia: The text is an emergency substitution because Villa-Lobos couldn't get the rights to the text he wanted!

Posted by Bob Weber at October 30, 2008 06:43 PM