Comments: Al-Maliki's Teeny-Tiny SOFA Figleaf

The Iraqi Public votes via rpg, thus the problem. Al Maliki doesn't just want to be powerful, he wants to grow old too.

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 21, 2008 02:06 PM

The U.S. is not leaving without a fight.

Posted by cemmcs at October 21, 2008 03:08 PM

I doubt it's any different than when I was there, that is American soldiers don't go off base when they are off duty. (give it time though, I can see where this is going... Korea II). You might even say they are never considered off duty anyway. Second, I can't imagine ever getting arrested by Iraqi policemen , hell we just as on guard around them as any civilians (if not more, they do have rifles). I may or may not remember some issues with Korean law enforcement, soju tends to cloud those issues... don't think it being a Muslim country is going to stop em from drinking either, foreign contractors got us whatever we wanted.

The bottom line to me is that we were never 'immune' in a legal sense, always subject to UCMJ and Geneva Convention. They might hold their own ranks more accountable, but I'm pretty confident saying that no US soldier (or merc) is ever gonna get tried by an Iraqi court unless some seriously bad stuff goes down and it becomes a political issue. No matter what the SOFA says. Maybe not killing with impunity, but definitely having a free hand to kill

So if they pass that agreement
They are SOFA king....

Posted by tim at October 21, 2008 03:56 PM

"So not only is the Iraqi legislative branch more independent than ours, their media is too."

That's because we went over there and gave them some democracy. And it was so hard to do that we had to give up ours to do that, to give them democracy.
Which they have now. And we don't. Because we did that, and it was so hard to do.

Posted by Roy Belmont at October 21, 2008 07:22 PM

I thought WE gave them Anarchy.

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 21, 2008 09:17 PM

Well, no. No we didn't.
We didn't give them anarchy, we gave them democracy.
Now they have it and won't give it back.
Right when we need it the most, too.

Posted by Roy Belmont at October 21, 2008 10:12 PM

Maybe they'll make a trade for Codpiece and Deadeye, the 2 mental giants of this century.

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 21, 2008 10:31 PM

I understand that Obama is a lawyer, perhaps he will be able to write up a SOFA agreement that the Iraqis will agree to and get that precious oil for US. (maybe something like--give Us that oil and WE let U back out of the stoneage to, say, the bronze age, for example)

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 22, 2008 10:47 PM