Comments: New Tomdispatch

Hey, I'm depressed, aren't you?

Hell, no, and you can't make me. There was a beautiful full moon last night and the sun came up this morning just as a squirrel ran out to snuffle up some of the sunflower seeds I had spread earlier for the wild birds. The best things in life are free (or nearly free), after all. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation . . .But alert and healthy natures remember that the sun rose clear".--Thoreau

Posted by Don Bacon at October 15, 2008 10:53 AM

For those with IRAs, there is something you can do to ameliorate, if not clot, the bleeding - inverse exchange-traded funds (ETFs). They basically increase in price as the market falls. I understand not looking at bad news, but one doesn't need to be paralyzed by depression; or anything else not actually paralyzing.

Posted by cavjam at October 15, 2008 11:20 AM

Hangman, Hangman
Wait a little while
I think I see my brother coming
Riding many a mile
You bring a little silver?
You bring a little gold?
What did you bring me my brother?
To keep me from
The gallows pole
To keep me from the gallows pole

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 15, 2008 12:55 PM

Led Zeppelin

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 15, 2008 12:58 PM

It's a huge problem in the best of times.

I'll borrow Yves Smith's conceit, and point you to my antidote du jour.

Posted by Bruce F at October 15, 2008 01:01 PM

Saw worse for 25+ years....
The homeless, people with jobs who were homeless, the working poor, the sick who did not have money to come to the clinic to keep their appointments or to eat the right foods for their diabetes as fresh foods were beyond their means, workers who started their shift at 6.00am and left home at 4.00am and got mugged again and again, kids who had to go to school wearing bullet proof vests, gang members bringing their war to the emergency room waving guns to kill their rivals...
Is anyone thinking of them? "DEPRESSION" has been the story of their lives all along. Let's get real.

Posted by Rupa Shah at October 15, 2008 03:22 PM

So your demotard shill friend is depressed about his fucking 401K. Paint me fucking concerned when he's living under a bridge and dumpster diving for dinner.

Posted by AlanSmithee at October 15, 2008 05:51 PM

Rupa Shah -

Right on!

Posted by Aaron Datesman at October 15, 2008 06:14 PM

I know people who avoid funerals. This is not to say that I know people who are thrilled to attend them.

Some folks need closure though, and so do I. That's why when a close friend or relative dies, I have my suit pressed, shoes shined and try to remember how to knot a tie. I know I'll just end up regretting it if I don't.

Perhaps if you dress formal before you open your 401k statement, it will make things easier for you.

Posted by Paul Avery at October 15, 2008 06:55 PM

AlanSmithee:

Could you tell me what kind of douchebag shits on an elderly woman facing the prospect of severe poverty because they aren't already poor?

Posted by James Cape at October 15, 2008 08:01 PM

akshully, been kinda thinking that the 401k concerns (have heard same first-hand, too) shows a fear of losing personal power in a selfish world. the thought or hope that the world isn't restricted to "paying your own way" is outside the conversation at the moment? i think this is maybe related to the humiliation ordinary people feel about bankruptcy in general. socialism being so unpopular, losing a foothold really feels like crap.

Posted by hapa at October 15, 2008 08:32 PM

Posted by hapa at October 15, 2008 08:34 PM

James Cape:

What kind of pwoggie-bloggie dumbass thinks Tom Engelhardt is an elderly woman?

Posted by AlanSmithee at October 16, 2008 01:20 PM

Well James now we know the answer to your question -- it's the kind that can't read.

Posted by Slim at October 16, 2008 01:41 PM

There's a small collection of expressions that cause me to stop reading and give no further attention to those who use them. Among them: 'you people', and 'pwoggie' (and its variations 'pwog' and the full form 'pwogwessive').

Posted by Nell at October 16, 2008 09:27 PM