Comments: Heh. Indeed.

I read that NYT article. Was it supposed to be terrible? Is the joke on me here?

Posted by Salty at October 12, 2008 08:35 PM

I still say that when all this is over we'll make Argentina look like the dude who can't pay you back the fifteen bucks you loaned him last week.

Posted by Wareq at October 12, 2008 09:12 PM

Salty--I wouldn't say it was terrible, but I would say it was snide. It does at least admit that the protestors seem to have been right, but it does it in a way that hints they are/were a bunch of clowns or ideologues who don't deserve any credit for it. Back in 1999 the NYT never (AFAIK) treated the antiglobalization protestors as people with a legitimate viewpoint--instead they were all a bunch of no-nothing crackpots in turtle costumes, or worse, anarchists breaking windows or people who wanted us to live like North Koreans (that was Friedman's view). Thomas Friedman and even Paul Krugman ridiculed them on a regular basis. (Krugman, IIRC, later admitted he was partly wrong.)

It's like the Iraq War--there's no honor in being right about it from the beginning. You're only a serious person if you were wrong and then changed your mind.

Posted by Donald Johnson at October 12, 2008 09:42 PM

I guess Charlie Savage isn't going for his next Pulitzer; this is the kind of smarmy crap you'd find in the Washington Post's Style section.

Posted by Nell at October 12, 2008 10:48 PM

Just cause the chickens come home to roost don't mean there's fried chicken for supper. That one in every pot went out with the last depression.

Posted by Mike Meyer at October 13, 2008 12:59 AM

I guess Charlie Savage isn't going for his next Pulitzer

I see no reason why he can't get a Pulitzer for this.

Posted by Jonathan Schwarz at October 13, 2008 08:26 AM

On a related note, I have been wondering why is the NYSE still in New York City. Wouldn't it be cheaper to do it in another country or at least a less expensive part of the United States?

Posted by micah holmquist at October 13, 2008 02:04 PM

"...a Noah's ark of flat-earth advocates..."

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.

Posted by Rojo at October 13, 2008 02:21 PM

Commentators Quarrel on Global Geometry

Although Alan Greenspan's praise for this book is at the top of the page, George Soros and Georgie Anne Geyer also like it.

Posted by mistah charley, ph.d. at October 14, 2008 08:12 AM