Comments: The Timing of a Comic Genius

The bailout will assure NO healthcare.

Posted by Mike Meyer at September 21, 2008 02:29 PM

The last decade in banking has produced... a nationalized banking system.

While I appreciate the jibe, in truth the last decade in banking has produced a nationalization only of the debts, not of the banking system.

Posted by Nell at September 21, 2008 02:34 PM

The GOP shows they believe that cost is no object (to what they want). So why not national health care?

Posted by bobbyp at September 21, 2008 02:47 PM

Indeed. The last decade has produced a banking system with all the headaches of a nationalized system and none of the benefits.

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at September 21, 2008 03:05 PM

I encourage everybody to call their representatives and tell 'em what you think of this bad bill. It's outrageous.

If we can discourage immediate passage, Jon's Iron Law will start working to give us time. Time leads to debate, discovery, and alternatives. Haste is a tactic, not reality.

Posted by Mike of Angle at September 21, 2008 05:25 PM

I think our representatives are outrageous. So, whom do I call about them?

Posted by donescobar at September 21, 2008 05:32 PM

As bobbyp points out above - I say we let them have their damn bailout. But let's slap Kucinich's bill for universal health care (I think it's HR 576) on to the bailout bill as an amendment. It's a $700bn bribe to get socialized medicine. We can pay for the bribe with Sander's tax on the ultra-rich!

About the post, I think that McCain is actually right on. You just have to understand that "worst excesses of state-based regulation" is code for "there's still all these dark and poor people breathin' my air!"

Posted by Aaron Datesman at September 21, 2008 05:47 PM

Prof Chazelle: Few years may be too long for many uninsured and underinsured Americans to enjoy the benefits of McCain plan!!!

Posted by Rupa Shah at September 21, 2008 06:26 PM

Posted by Rupa Shah at September 21, 2008 06:26 PM

Pelosi @1-202-225-0100---NO BAILOUT

Posted by Mike Meyer at September 22, 2008 02:39 AM

Strange, I just searched McCain's website for any mention of regulation and can't find the word on it anywhere. Nothing relating to less regulation, nothing relating to more regulation. Even his section on healthcare reform seems to no longer mentioning that in it.

Revisionist history??