Comments: Someone Should Write A Book About This Called Savage Mules

I'm shocked — shocked — that the Democratic candidate is behaving like a Republican.

Wake me when the 'election' is over.

Posted by Mike at August 17, 2008 02:26 PM

Maybe if we were to steal this "table" that everyone is always going on about, they'd have nowhere to put all their options, and having to stand there empty-handed would make them realize that hey, we're all just people with hopes and fears and dreams, and they'd just laugh and wonder what it was they were ready to fight over earlier!

Posted by Hopey Change at August 17, 2008 02:30 PM

Iran's nuclear weapons program is a degenerate case—like a "circle" with a radius of zero. It's precisely analogous to Tuvalu's nuclear weapons programs. Does make it pretty tough to abandon, though.

Posted by John Caruso at August 17, 2008 07:01 PM

Have you ever lived
Down in that getto
Have you ever felt
That cold wind blow
If you don't know what I mean
Won't you stand up and scream
Cause there's things going on
That you don't know
Too many lives they spent cross the ocean
Too much money the spent upon the moon
Till the make it right
I hope they never sleep at night
They better make some changes
And do it soon
They gonna ruin us here with greed
Lord have mercy
They gonna ruin us all
By and by
I'm tellin' all you beware
I just don't think that they care
I think they just sit up there
And get high
Have you ever been
Down in that getto
Have you ever felt
That cold wind blow
If you don't know what I mean
Won't you stand up and scream
Cause there things going on
That you don't know ---Lynyrd Skynyrd

Posted by Mike Meyer at August 18, 2008 01:10 AM

Why am I not surprised?
I was shocked in 2004 when Sen Obama was running for Senate as an anti-war candidate and even before he was elected, he had changed his postion. He was ready to attack Iran with SURGICAL ( that sounds so precise, like they told us about smart bombs in 1991 gulf war!!)strikes!! Of course, HE needs all the options on the table ( real or imaginary ).

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 18, 2008 08:54 AM

Mike Meyer: Thanks for your 'Lynyrd Skynyrd' post. Much appreciated.

I do not understand this obssesion with or love affair with wars if it is a cure all. I found this prayer by Mark Twain soon after September 11, 2008. Wonder if any of the elected officials or other warmongers has read it!!!!

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 18, 2008 10:23 AM

Sorry about the error. It should read 'love affair with wars as if it is a cure all.

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 18, 2008 10:27 AM

Whether you agree with the Democratic platform or not, this posting is disingenuous. The December NIE (the conclusions of which, it should be noted, some disagree with) said that Iran had a FROZEN nuclear weapons program- not that they had no program at all. I.e., their frozen program could be reactivated at a future time. The Democratic platform, in asking Iran to "abandon their nuclear weapons program", could be asking them to completely cancel, rather than just freeze, their program. (What actions would convince Western powers which object that the frozen program has been dismantled, given Iran's past concealment of nuclear activities, I'm not sure of.)

And, some are concerned about Iran's program to enrich uranium, which continues, and although they claim it's for peaceful purposes, some are concerned since they'll have enough uranium in several years to be quickly able to create an atomic bomb if they were to unfreze their weapons program then. I haven't read the Democratic platform and whether it says anything about Iran's enrichment program alone I couldn't say.

Posted by yrral at August 18, 2008 01:42 PM

Given that both Republicans and Democrats have this policy outlook, it would be incredibly irresponsible if they weren't enriching for weaponizing purposes.

I think that they are, but then so what if they are?

Posted by Labiche at August 19, 2008 05:38 AM