Comments: All Under Control

I read a site that tied much of this together with Sibel Edmonds' case. It made sense, at least to my untrained ear, but wonder what all of you thought of it?

Posted by Bruce F at August 1, 2008 11:02 AM

Jalaluddin Haqqani was IIRC the first choice of the US for President of Afghanistan (Karzai was the third) - he declined the honor. Since then he has reportedly been offered the post of Prime Minister by Karzai. He more or less stayed out of active fighting against the US led forces until 2006. A long and complicated relationship indeed.

Posted by empty at August 3, 2008 10:06 AM

Prof Chazelle: Just curious to know if Chicago was selected randomly or for a specific reason? May be, because one pays taxes, one 'reaps what one sows'!!

Bruce F: In "Sibel Edmonds’ State Secrets Privilege Gallery", the Americans are all neocons, if I am correct. With their Project for a new American Century ( now non-existent in words but very much present in thought and intention )and wishing USA to be THE ONLY superpower, USA needs physical presence around the world a.k.a. bases, 737 to be exact according to Chalmers Johnson
Sadly, "morality" is a word that does not exist in USA govt's dictionary and will use any means, may it be Islamization or drug trafficking, to achieve its goals as its record in Central America and latin America has shown. Though I must add, I respect Amy carter ( daughter of an ex-president whom I respect) who protested recruitment by CIA on her campus and "put CIA on trial for its deeds".
The only answer to this long and complicated and unholy relationship is to dismantle the agency.

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 3, 2008 06:46 PM

Why Chicago? Because many ATR aficionados live there and I needed to get their attention.

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at August 3, 2008 10:02 PM
Why Chicago?

I've wondered what would be more psychologically terrifying. Large coast cities or large heartland cities.

I think heartland.

Posted by Labiche at August 4, 2008 07:57 AM

Labiche: I guess, Chicagoans would appreciate your thoughtfulness! Better to get evaporated in a few seconds than have to deal with the aftermath-- in coastal cities!

Posted by Rupa Shah at August 4, 2008 10:10 AM