Comments: Sports, Tails, and Other Fun Ways to Waste your time

Your first two paragraphs remind me of a friend of mine who once woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me she had just realized that there are so many people in the world that somewhere there must be someone whose favorite candy is wax lips.

Posted by ethan at July 25, 2008 01:53 PM

The purpose of the Olympics is to sell more Coca Cola not win medals.

Posted by Rob Payne at July 25, 2008 02:36 PM

If Tom Friedman recommended adding taxicab driving as an Olympic sport I think I'd see that as a statistical outlier, of a freak, non-gaseous Tom Friedman utterance.

Posted by Jonathan Versen at July 25, 2008 10:31 PM

the biggest problem is that the majority of the country is obsessed with cricket(yours truly included). nobody really cares about runners, weightlifters, boxers, shooters or various other players.

Posted by almostinfamous at July 25, 2008 11:57 PM

AI: I read in the Economist once that cricket was the best sport in the world. Of course, I believed it. But why? Is it because you can play cricket after attending a Lloyd's board meeting without having to change clothes?

Posted by Bernard Chazelle at July 26, 2008 12:32 AM

Considering India's obsession with cricket, and the billions they are pouring into the sport, one could argue that Indian's under achievements in cricket surpass those at the Olympics. They have been owned by Pakistan for most of their lives. Tiny Sri Lanka administered a spanking of truely historical proportions in India's last match a few days ago.

If cricket were an Olympic sport, I would put money on India coming home without a medal.

Posted by doosra at July 27, 2008 05:05 PM

They occasionally medal in men's field hockey. I recall the President bemoaning "One billion people and one bronze medal!" a few years ago.

Posted by drip at July 28, 2008 01:36 PM

India won the gold in Moscow 1980, when Carter convinced the rest of the filed hockey playing world to stay at home. Other than that, India has not won any Olympic medal in hockey in the last 30 years. Not even a bronze. The President must have been talking about something else.

Posted by doosra at July 29, 2008 04:05 PM