Comments: LOOKING BACK: Rumsfeld Privately Criticized Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki As Inferior To Mass Murderers

How I love your bloooog. Yes, there are greater bloooogs, I suppose, but there is none I love better. This is the Pickup on South Street of bloooogs.

Posted by Simbaud at July 21, 2008 11:16 PM

Chomsky recently wrote:

Teheran is presumably pleased to see the United States institute and sustain a government in Iraq that's receptive to their influence. For the Iraqi people, however, that government continues to be a disaster, very likely with worse to come.

In Foreign Affairs, Steven Simon points out that current US counterinsurgency strategy is "stoking the three forces that have traditionally threatened the stability of Middle Eastern states: tribalism, warlordism and sectarianism." The outcome might be "a strong, centralised state ruled by a military junta that would resemble" Saddam's regime.

Posted by Rob Payne at July 22, 2008 03:49 AM

Well, ya have some enlightened despots, and then ya have OUR GEORGIE.

Posted by Mike Meyer at July 22, 2008 10:40 AM

"He's not Syngman Rhee."

Something most human beings would take as a compliment.

Posted by Nell at July 22, 2008 12:37 PM

Simbaud, why do you persist in using "bloooog," rather than the correct term, "blog"?

I guess some people just have to be different for the sake of being different.

Posted by Jonathan Schwarz at July 22, 2008 02:10 PM

"bloooog" hurts my eyes. and isnt that rummy a lovely fellow.

Posted by josh at July 22, 2008 04:32 PM

"Bloooog" is what we type when we've been drinking and our O-finger gets a little heavy. We would never type anything of the sort sober. For one thing, when we're sober, this blog really bites it.

Posted by Simbaud at July 24, 2008 03:38 PM

We would never type anything of the sort sober.

I'm sorry. Drunk or sober, only very bad individuals would even think of using anything but the standard, approved term of "blog."

It's just a matter of respect for standardization. In a better world, any deviations would be punished, and punished severely.

Posted by Jonathan Schwarz at July 24, 2008 09:50 PM

Before you go off on another rant about standardization, your readership might like to know exactly how much you have invested in companies that produce so-called "movable type."

Posted by Simbaud at July 25, 2008 06:02 PM

And I don't mean the publishing platform. I mean movable type!

Posted by Simbaud at July 25, 2008 07:29 PM