Comments: Senate Phase II Report To Be Whitewash?

Well, not to be all wang-obsessed, but I am thinking more and more that they have something quite similar to l'affaire Spitzer on Jay Rockefeller. Oh, sure, he could be in the tank all on his own, but there's an extra bit of groveling in his case that makes me wonder...

Of course, you never make it onto the Senate Select Committee unless you're viewed as "sound", so maybe he's just a natural groveler.

Posted by Nell at March 11, 2008 08:23 PM

How can you be sure that the belated "Phase II" report on the statements made by the Bush administration prior to the Iraq war is going to be a whitewash?

1) It's coming from the Senate Intelligence Committee.

2) The Senate Intelligence Committee is chaired by Jay Rockefeller.

3) See points 1 and 2.

Posted by charlie at March 11, 2008 10:14 PM

take it away, Leonard:

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
Thats how it goes
Everybody knows

Posted by ran at March 11, 2008 10:25 PM

I've certainly wondered this myself. Even if he hasn't been specifically warned, everyone has something they'd like to keep secret, and if you're in his position you'd be an idiot not to be concerned that these guys are watching you. Certainly they've demonstrated themselves willing to do use anything.

On the other hand, as you say, he may just be a natural talent.

Posted by Jonathan Schwarz at March 11, 2008 10:38 PM

Hey, the Socialists won the elections in Spain! Maybe Dennis could jump back in the race as a Socialist Party candidate, and in his first official act as President appoint J. Scwartz as Chief Investigator for the Retroactive Impeachment Commission! Hey, you're all fucked. The US can't get out of Iraq for years, the economy is going into the tank, and you're about to elect another loser with a fancy Ivy pedigree but no real accomplishments or ability. Suckers : )

Posted by xyz at March 12, 2008 07:43 AM

well, I have to finish writing reviews of CIS telecoms, Russia electricity, CEE/CIS retail banking, and regional M&A, so I won't be offering much commentary today. I tell you, having "smarest person in 25 country region spanning Zagreb to Almati" as your job description is tough sometimes : (

Posted by xyz at March 12, 2008 08:16 AM

Leonard Cohen also warned us about 4GW:
Give me back the Berlin Wall,
Give me Stalin and Saint Paul,
I have seen the future, brother,
And it's murder

But that aside.... I still resist the notion that heavy political influence was brought to bear on the Iraq NIE. I think those in the Community who thought there were _no_ WMD in Iraq, as in none at all, were very few and far between. Most people in the IC expected to find chemical warhead stocks, maybe some small-scale biowar research labs, just enough for the administration to crow about. The NIE went off the rails thanks to Curveball and the famous tubes, but even without that stuff there was a general expectation that we would find something. The administration didn't need much from the IC to justify the invasion, and (of course) nothing at all to convince it to invade. We were accessories, nothing more. We knew jack, and didn't trust the UN inspectors, the only people in a position to know. Maybe we're doing better now on that score. I hope so.

Posted by Ralph Hitchens at March 12, 2008 02:45 PM