Comments: These People Are Exactly Who You Think They Are (Part 30,254)

Oh, I suppose it's possible to participate in "the life of the mind" with champaigne and strawberries. Or,only down one level at Chianti Classico and fried calimari? Or, down another, at pork rinds and Gallo? It's the humane or inhumane use of power that counts, and the former could be accompanied by strawberries and...
But our new elite doesn't even have the noblesse oblige of the old, cold comfort that was to most poor and exploited.
But there we are, now, at the mercy of a new breed of robber barons.
And, didn't Richard Perle date Wohlstetter's daughter? That's probably the really real story here for what America is hungry to hear. A neocon sitcom on Fox? To the computers, Harvard Lampoon guys!

Posted by donescobar at March 20, 2007 10:35 PM

It's not the champagne and strawberries particularly, it's that the champagne and strawberries are what matter--and it's not even what they are that matters, but what they signify.

Posted by Saheli at March 21, 2007 01:09 AM

I must also say that I am ever so slightly uncomfortable with the tone of this anecdote. . .I'm not entirely sure I trust it, reasonably as it fits into my world view.

Posted by Saheli at March 21, 2007 01:24 AM

CALLING DOCTOR HOWARD, DOCTOR FINE, DOCTOR HOWARD

Posted by Mike Meyer at March 21, 2007 02:14 AM

Ancient Chinese proverb says: Money makes Devil turn the Millstone.

Yeah, I've got friends that would otherwise be progressive, had they not frankly admitted that they sold out to Mammon years ago.

Posted by En Ming Hee at March 21, 2007 02:00 PM

I'm not sure what the point is? Is Wohlstetter supposed to be a "Moe"? He seems, rather, to be a reasonably well-paid policy wonk who for whatever reason decided to slum it in the academy for a stretch. Strawberries and Champagne -- the horror!

Many of Ann Norton's anecdotes are suspect. She boasts about having had sex in the library stacks at Chicago, but the stacks had almost certainly been closed by the time she got there. She goes on about "Staussian truth squads" running rough-shod over the faculty at Chicago, but no one else who was there at the time remembers such things. One could on....

I know alot of people like the snarky tone of her book, but she's just not reliable.

Posted by Bob Adams at March 22, 2007 12:08 PM

I find the hip nihilism a little depressing, as it seems calculated (whether by design or not) to lead to inaction that benefits the worst fanatics. Yes, it's terrible that they steal from us, oppress us, spy on us, but it's so -tacky- to take any sort of action. And anyway, all politicians are dirty, just like all lawyers, and we don't want to get our hands dirty. Spoils the flavor of the Cheetos.

Posted by Kip W at March 24, 2007 12:27 PM