Comments: Part III Of Harper's Discussion, Plus...Something Else

Anon CIA Official #1's statement that we haven't made any efforts to broadcast into Iran - I have no idea if that's true or not - is pretty amazing. No efforts to even get VOA Persian through? Wierd.

Posted by buermann at February 15, 2007 08:53 PM

Despite being frightened by the possibility, I have no idea if the US will bomb Iran soon, later or never, but the fact that all the 'think tank' people think that it won't doesn't reassure me, in fact, the opposite.

Posted by Dick Durata at February 15, 2007 09:55 PM

Yes, We will be attacking Iran, soon or later. The reasons are many and varied. Long ago, when the SHAH was in power, (remember him, paronoid, proud as a peacock, perverted ,only a little blood thirsty, and slightly repressive) why ALL that OIL was ours. ALL the leases belonged to AMERICAN OIL CORPORATIONS. Then the Ayatolla came on the scene and nationalized the oilfields and for lack of a better word, STOLE OUR OIL. Well, we want it back and NOW is our chance. Then there's that petrodollar question. Saddam was selling OIL FOR EUROS and ended at the end of a short rope and a long drop. The same goes for ANYBODY that tries to sell a barrel of oil for EUROS. The Iranians are playing the same deadly game. Plus, and this is GEORGE'S bestest favorite reason, BECAUSE WE CAN. ALL this mushroom cloud rhetoric is just mushroom cloud rhetoric, same as the Iraqi invasion.(same as 40yrs of Cold War)

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 15, 2007 11:09 PM

Mike, have to disagree with you here.

BECAUSE WE CAN

BECAUSE BUSH THINKS WE CAN

I doubt that very much except for bombing runs or shelling from war ships in the Persian gulf.

Sending in soldiers is completely impossible and you can't occupy a country without boots on the ground.

Sorry about that. I was drifting into reality and realized reality is as foreign to Bush as is Iran. Please forgive me.

Posted by SPIIDERWEB™ at February 16, 2007 12:24 AM

That McClatchy bit is one of the more disturbing things I've read this year. But then, it's only February.

Posted by Pyrrho at February 16, 2007 01:56 AM

SPIIDERWEB: It will only take about 5,000 soldiers, May take 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months, But certainly no longer than that. Ask Rummy, that's what WE did the last time.

Posted by Mike Meyer at February 16, 2007 02:14 AM

On the question of whether we're going to attack: the only two I know of who make claims to inside information as to an imminent attack are Scott Ritter and Seymour Hersch.

Oh, if only Seymour Hersh had a long and well-established history of credible journalism.  Then we'd be golden!

Posted by Dayv at February 16, 2007 09:17 PM

Which he does, so I guess we're rich.

Posted by buermann at February 17, 2007 08:11 PM